Whether you are a diamond lover or an aspiring gemologist, you might have asked yourself, “What is a diamond cut?”. Not to be confused with the shape of a diamond, such as a round cut or pear cut diamond (t...
What is the Best Diamond Shape for Sparkle?November 14, 2018 - Diamond Articles
We will cover:
- The best diamond cut for sparkle
- History of the best diamond cut for sparkle
- Tips for further enhancing sparkle
- How to upgrade your diamonds
The best diamond shape for sparkle
When it comes to selecting the best diamond shape for sparkle there is one clear choice, the round brilliant.
All diamond shapes have a unique facet pattern that determine a gemstone’s potential to sparkle and round diamonds were specially designed to create maximum sparkle. When light hits a diamond, it is reflected of the diamond’s facets (the flat surfaces cut into the diamond) which act like mirrors and allow light to bounce within the stone. Brilliance is the term for the light emitted from a diamond, commonly referred to as sparkle.
What is the best diamond shape for sparkle after the round?
Today, 75% of all diamonds sold are round, due to their versatility in various settings and magnificent sparkle. In addition to the round, there are other fancy diamond shapes that provide great sparkle such as the:
- Cushion cut diamonds are a great alternative to the round brilliant cut diamonds thanks to its 58 facets.
- Oval cut also offer strong brilliance and fire.
- Pear cut
Diamond shapes that do not do well in terms of sparkle:
- Emerald cut diamonds are particularly poor in terms of sparkle due to their step cut
- Princess cut diamonds
- Radiant cut diamonds
The importance of diamond cut: Keep in mind that a diamond’s sparkle is also determined by how well a stone is cut. The better a diamond is cut, the more easily it can reflect light and sparkle.
If a diamond is cut poorly, light will not be able to properly travel throughout the stone, making it appear dull and lifeless. Therefore, a well-cut round diamond and a poorly cut round diamond of the same carat weight will provide a different amount of sparkle.
History of the best diamond cut for sparkle
The best diamond cut for sparkle was created by Marcel Tolkowsky in 1919. For his doctoral thesis at the University of London, Tolkowsky sought to determine the exact proportions of a diamond needed to maximize light dispersion.
Born in a family of diamond cutters and well versed in math and engineering, Tolkowsky believed that he possessed the skills to improve the standard of diamond cutting. Tolkowsky understood that if a diamond was cut too shallowly or deeply then light would escape out the sides and bottom of the stone, diminishing the diamond’s ability to sparkle.
Tolkowsky created a mathematical formula for cutting diamonds proportionally, which was referred to as the “ideal cut,” enabling light to effectively reflect within the diamond and magnificently sparkle.
Prior to Tolkowsky’s discovery, diamond cutting was more of an art than an exact science. For example, old-miner and old-European cuts were cut and measured by hand with less advanced techniques. Even with Tolkowsky’s formula for the optimal diamond proportions, only an experienced diamond cutter can craft a diamond to meet these standards.
Tips for enhancing diamond sparkle
After reading our guide, are you ready to find your perfect diamond with fantastic sparkle? Now that you know the best diamond cut for sparkle, as well as other fantastic alternatives, we will show you how else you can enhance your diamond’s overall sparkle.
- Cut grade: if you choose a round diamond, ensure that you pick a diamond whose cut grade is Excellent or Very Good. With great cut grades, light will be able to best travel throughout the diamond and sparkle.
- The setting: The setting of your diamond is in can enhance or diminish its ability to sparkle. For example, if your diamond is in a bezel setting, then only the top of the diamond will be exposed to light. On the other hand, a prong setting will not obstruct the diamond and allow more light to enter into the stone.
- Halo: You may opt for a halo setting, in which your diamond will be encircled by a row of smaller diamonds. This way, the halo of diamonds will collectively add to your jewelry’s overall sparkle.
How to sell or upgrade your diamonds
With WP Diamonds, affording your dream diamond is easier than ever. At WP Diamonds we are one of the leading online loose diamond, fine jewelry and luxury watch buyers. Our team of experienced gemologists and horologists possess the necessary in-depth understanding of the secondhand luxury market in order to thoroughly assess and competitively price your items. Our secure and trusted buying process has earned us an A+ rating with the BBB and hundreds of positive customer reviews.
When you sell your loose diamonds, fine jewelry and luxury watches with WP Diamonds, you can receive payment in as little as 24 hours. With our fast payment and high cash offers, you can soon become a step closer towards purchasing your new diamond. To make your perfect diamond even more affordable, you can utilize our upgrade program and receive up to 10% more on your offer in the form of store credit with our jewelry store partner.
Selling with WP Diamonds is always easy, secure and free:
- To begin the process, simply complete our online form with information about your luxury items.
- You will shortly be contacted by one of our experts with an initial price quote.
- Receiving your final offer is just as easy. We will send you a free, secure, fully insured and overnight mailing label so you can confidently send in your items. When your diamonds, jewelry and luxury watches arrive, we will promptly evaluate your pieces.
- One of our experts will contact you with a final offer and detailed explanation of how we came to that price. As there are never any commissions or hidden fees, the final price you hear is exactly how much you will be paid.
- You can accept your offer by transfer or check. However, you can always have your items returned to you at no cost.