What Are Diamond Cavities?
Cavities are a type of imperfection that can appear on your diamond and influence its clarity. Keep reading as we explain just what diamond cavities are, how cavities are formed, how they affect diamonds and how you can treat cavities.
While you may have mastered the 4 C’s, diamond fluorescence and the difference between a cz and a diamond, have you heard about diamond cavities? If you are asking yourself “what are diamond cavities?”, you are not alone.
Get the answers to the following questions:
- What are diamond cavities?
- How are diamond cavities formed?
- How do cavities affect diamonds?
- How are cavities treated?
- How to upgrade your diamonds
What Are Diamond Cavities?
An inclusion is an imperfection inside a diamond or on its surface, and cavities are a type of inclusion. Other types include feathers, clouds, crystals and knots. Depending on their location and severity of the inclusion, these will influence your diamond’s clarity grade.Just like a cavity in a tooth, a diamond cavity is a crevasse in the diamond. A cavity can form anywhere on a diamond and vary in size. Small cavities, for example, need 10X magnification to be seen, while large cavities can be seen with the naked eye. If you have an official diamond grading report, such as one from the GIA, you can reference the plot chart to see if your diamond has any cavities as well as any other inclusions.
How Are Diamond Cavities Formed?
Diamond cavities can form naturally or be man-made. Natural cavities occur when a different type of inclusion, such as a crystal, gets dislodged during the stone’s ascension to the earth’s surface. When hit with a great force, the original inclusion may fall out and leave a jagged indentation in its place.
Man-made cavities can form during the polishing process when an inclusion gets dislodged from the diamond, resulting in a hole. Another type of man-made cavity can form when the diamond cutter deliberately creates a cavity to remove a large, dark inclusion in a diamond. If a diamond cutter was to remove the cavity, they would need to sacrifice carat weight. This is not a profitable choice as many people prefer to buy larger diamonds.
How Do Cavities Affect Diamonds?
Depending on the number of cavities as well as their size and location, they will impact a diamond’s clarity grade. Dirt, oil and grime can accumulate within a cavity, making the spot darken over time. This of course has a negative impact on price.Looking to sell a diamond with cavities? Fill out our online form today.
How Are Diamond Cavities Treated?
If you have a diamond with a cavity, you may be wondering how to treat it. Diamonds can receive artificial treatments to improve various aspects of their clarity, including cavities. Below are two options for treating cavities:
- Deep Boiling:The diamond will be boiled in an acidic solution while under great pressure. This treatment is most effective for cavities near the surface of the diamond and have darkened with grime. This process removes the accumulated grime and is the only clarity enhancement that is authorized by the GIA.
- Fracture Filling: The cavity will be filled with a glass-like substance. The drawback to this treatment is that the diamond can no longer be considered natural, thereby lowering its value in comparison to its fully natural counterparts.
How To Upgrade Your Diamonds
Thinking about updating your own diamonds? At WP Diamonds, we are one of the leading diamond buyers and can help you quickly sell your diamonds for cash or store credit. Thanks to our expert gemologists, international presence and global buying power, we are able to provide our clients with competitive cash offers as well as designer jewelry and luxury watches. Our trustworthily and seamless selling process has earned us an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau and hundreds of fantastic online reviews.
Selling with WP Diamonds is so simple and fast that you can receive payment in as little as 24 hours. There are never any hidden fees or commissions deducted from your final offer, so the final price you hear is exactly how much you will get paid. You can also opt to receive 10% more on your offer in the form of store credit to make your next diamond even more affordable.
How To Sell To WP Diamonds:
- Complete our online form. Our team will shortly get back to you with a price quote.
- If you like your quote and want to receive a firm buying offer you can either schedule an appointment at one of our comfortable and secure offices in New York, the UK or Hong Kong. Alternatively you can mail-in your pieces. We can send you a free, secure, fully insured, trackable and overnight mailing label.
- Once your pieces arrive at our office, they will be evaluated by our team who will calculate a competitive offer. You will be contacted by one of our experts with our final offer and explanation of how we came to that price.
- You can accept payment by wire or check, or request to have your items returned to you for free.
Click the button below to sell your diamonds, designer jewelry and luxury watches.