How To Upgrade An Engagement Ring
In recent years, upgrading one’s engagement ring has become a common practice. A new engagement ring can reflect a change in preference, a new financial situation, or a big milestone. Whether you would like to reset your current ring or trade your ring in for something new, read below to learn more.
Why Should I Upgrade My Engagement Ring?
There are many reasons why you may decide it is time to upgrade your engagement ring, including:
- New financial situation: Many couples are unable to afford the ring of their dreams at the time of their engagement and may settle for something slightly less desirable that fits in their budget. Oftentimes, financial situations will stabilize over time, and you may find that you now have extra disposable income to afford the ring you really desire.
- Preferences have changes: Perhaps the shape, setting, or color of your engagement ring no longer suits your style or preferences.
- Trends come and go: Additionally, certain shapes and styles come in and out of fashion as the decades pass. A ring from a marriage 20 years ago may feel outdated as new styles flood the market.
- Celebrate a new milestone: An important anniversary or a renewal of vows can be the perfect time to upgrade your ring.
- Modernize a family heirloom: Some couples choose to use a family heirloom as their engagement ring. Oftentimes, these traditional rings may need to be upgraded to better match contemporary styles.
How Can I Afford An Engagement Ring Upgrade?
Upgrading an engagement ring can seem like an expensive process, but it doesn’t always have to break the bank. If you are worried about over-spending on a new ring, WP Diamonds can help. WP Diamonds offers an upgrade service, in which you can sell your old ring for cash you can put towards a new ring, or you can get up to 20% more on your offer in the form of store credit at a jewelry store.
Fill out the online form and one of our in-house diamond experts will reach out shortly with an initial price. You can get 10% more on your offer in store credit at myGemma. If you are interested in upgrading your ring, don’t let finances hold you back.
What Are My Options For Upgrading My Engagement Ring?
If you have decided that upgrading your ring is the right choice for you, there are two main ways to upgrade your engagement ring:
- Reset your ring: Many people would like to hold on to their stone or their setting, oftentimes for sentimental reasons, and repurpose it into a ring of their choosing.
- Upgrade to a new ring completely: If you decide it’s right for you, there’s nothing wrong with forgoing your old engagement ring for a completely new ring. You may choose to keep your old ring for sentimental value or to sell it, which can help fund your new upgrade.
How To Reset An Engagement Ring?
If you have decided you would like to keep your stone but have it reset, it’s important to do your research. Begin by getting your current ring appraised or certified. Chips or cracks in the stone may limit your setting choices, so it’s important to know your options before you get started.
Next, decide how you would like to reset your ring. Some popular ways to upgrade your style include:
- A new band: Changing the metal, size, or design of the band is a common upgrade.
- Ring enhancer: Many jewelry companies sell “ring enhancers”, a ring that complements a solitaire engagement ring and can enhance the original ring’s appearance and size. A ring enhancer can be a quick, easy way to add to the appearance of your engagement ring.
- Adding side stones: Adding a stone on each side of your diamond or adding several stones clustered around your diamond can increase its visual appeal.
- Changing the setting: Updating your setting to something new can dramatically change your ring’s appearance. Learn more about different ring setting options here.
Once you have decided how you would like to upgrade your ring, find a knowledgeable jeweler you can trust to bring your vision to life. Look for the right jeweler through word of mouth, or read through online reviews to ensure a jeweler’s credibility.
How To Upgrade An Engagement Ring?
If you prefer to buy a completely new ring altogether, there are a plethora of options to choose from. Head here for some engagement ring shopping tips to make your upgrade a stress-free venture.
To simplify the process, here are 4 easy steps to follow when buying a new engagement ring:
- Sell the old ring: With WP Diamonds you will receive up to 10% more in the form of store credit at myGemma when you upgrade. Fill out the online form to receive your price quote from WP Diamonds and have money in your account in as little as 24 hours. It is quick and easy process with no hidden costs.
- Pick what style you would like: The first and arguably most important step when buying a new engagement ring is choosing the right style. If the reason why you are upgrading your old ring is because you no longer like its style, it can be even more important to choose a timeless ring that will outlast trends and changes in taste. Think about what you did and didn’t like about your first ring, and use this information to ensure you choose the perfect second ring. Think about what setting, shape, carat weight, metal, etc. you would like for your ring.
- Determine your budget: Though your budget may have increased the second time around, it’s likely there are still some financial constraints. Knowing your budget as you look at rings can help set realistic expectations.
- Buy: Once you know what you would like and how much you are willing to spend on it, it’s time to purchase your ring.