Is It Safe To Sell Jewellery Online?
If you are a first time jewellery seller you might be wondering, “is it safe to sell jewellery online?”. Since you are selling a valuable item, you want to make sure that you feel comfortable with how and who you sell your jewellery to.
Keep reading to learn what to look for in a jewellery buyer, how to learn what your jewellery is worth, and where to get the best offer for your jewellery.
Is It Safe To Sell Jewellery Online?
Thankfully, it is completely safe to sell jewellery online as long as you work with a reputable buyer. Thousands of people now opt to sell their jewellery online every day, as this typically will result in higher offers than selling locally. But how to find a reputable and trustworthy online jewellery buyer? It is simply a question of research.
Be sure to keep your resale expectations for your jewellery realistic. According to the LA Times, “It is exceptionally rare to sell a second-hand piece for anything close to what it cost to purchase.” Furthermore, the article explains that, “You also won’t get anything close to the appraised value. That’s because insurance appraisals are based on what it would cost to replace the item. And the retail price includes a lot of overhead, such as a profit for the manufacturer, the wholesaler and the retailer.”
Traits Of Reputable Jewellery Buyers
Reputable jewellery buyers meet all of the following criteria:
- Positive customer reviews: Before working with any buyer, make sure that you read their reviews to see if previous customers had a positive selling experience. If a company has substantial negative reviews or no reviews, this is a sign that you should stay away.
- Expertise: As your jewellery may be worth hundreds or hundreds of thousands of pounds, you want to be sure that you are working with jewellery experts. Experienced jewellery buyers have a strong understanding of the complexities of the second-hand market and can best value your jewellery.
- Free service: You should not have to pay a fee to get a quote or to sell your jewellery. Only work with buyers that provide an entirely free service, which includes getting a price quote, receiving a final price as well as shipping and insurance of your jewellery.
- No hidden fees: There should not be any hidden fees that deduct from your final offer. Some jewellery buyers will misleadingly provide you with a final offer, only to later deduct from your offer with hidden fees and commissions.
- Secure shipping: As the jewellery you are selling can possess great monetary and emotional value, you want to know that your jewellery is safe when sending it to a buyer. Ensure that the company you are shipping your jewellery to offers a free, fully insured mailing service.
- Appointments available: Even if you only plan to sell jewellery online, a reputable jewellery buyer should be able to provide in-person appointments at their headquarters.
When it comes to selling high value items such as jewellery, When working with WP Diamonds you can know that it is safe to sell jewellery online. We are experienced diamond and jewellery buyers that provide a completely free and secure service. As an established, international business with offices in the UK, New York and Hong Kong, we have the global industry connections necessary to provide you with the most competitive prices for your jewellery. With no hidden fees or commissions deducted from your offer, the final price you receive is exactly how much you will be paid. Our professional and transparent service has earned us hundreds of reviews from satisfied customers.
How To Sell Jewellery To WP Diamonds
We make selling your jewellery as seamless as possible. Sell your jewellery today with WP Diamonds in three easy steps:
1. Get Information On Your Jewellery
Before you can inquire about selling your jewellery you need to learn certain details, which will determine the value of your pieces.
To get a price quote for designer jewellery:
- Condition: Have you kept your jewellery in good condition or does it show signs of wear? The better the condition of your jewellery, the higher its sell price.
- Brand: Certain brands, such as Tiffany & Co. and Cartier, retain their value better than others.
- Series: The series that your jewellery belongs to will influence its worth as particular series are more coveted than others.
- Age: You don’t need to know the age of your jewellery but it can be helpful. Knowing if your Cartier Juste un Clou is an original from the 1970s or a more contemporary piece will influence its value.
- Box and Papers: These refer to the original box and papers that your jewellery came with upon purchase. While you can sell your jewellery without its box and papers, you can receive a higher offer on your jewellery with them. If you do not have your jewellery’s box and papers, don’t worry you can still sell.
To get a price quote for diamond jewellery:
- Colour Grade: This refers how much colour, or lack thereof, the diamond in your jewellery shows. Colour grades range from D to Z with D being colourless and the most valuable, and Z being a light yellow.
- Clarity Grade: This indicates the presence, or lack thereof, of imperfections in the diamond. Not all imperfections in the stone are eye visible but that does not mean that a stone is flawless.
- Carat Weight: This denotes how heavy the diamond is, with a single carat weighing about 0.02g.
- Cut Grade: This indicates the cut quality and proportions of the stone (for round diamonds only).
You can find this information on your diamond certificate, jewellers’ appraisal, insurance appraisal or any other paperwork you received when the jewellery was purchased. Alternatively, a local jeweller will normally provide this information free of charge.
2. Get A Price Quote
Getting an honest and competitive price quote for your jewellery with WP Diamonds is easy. Fill out our simple online form to get a price quote for your jewellery, as well as any loose diamonds or luxury watches.
3. Get A Final Price
At WP Diamonds, we provide two convenient methods for getting the final price for your jewellery.
- Sell your jewellery online:
You can mail-in your jewellery from anywhere in the UK through our free, trackable and insured mail service. After you receive your price quote, we will provide you with a Royal Mail Special Delivery Pack and instructions on how to safely send your jewellery in. When your jewellery arrives, it will be opened on camera and will be examined by our experts. Once we provide you with a final offer you can accept payment by bank transfer. However, if you do not like our offer, we will mail your jewellery back to you for free through Royal mail.
- Sell your jewellery via appointment:
If you would prefer to have your jewellery appraised in person, select from our Birmingham or London offices.
WP Diamond’s UK headquarters is located in Birmingham, within the jewellery quarter. We offer in-person appointments in our secure and modern offices every Monday through Friday from 10am through 5pm. Please contact us to schedule your appointment today. When you meet our team, you will receive an expert evaluation and firm price offer. You can receive your final offer by bank transfer. The entire process is free and without any high-pressure sales tactics.
We also hold monthly appointments in London in a secure, modern environment. To learn when our next London day is, please contact us to make your appointment. During the appointment, your jewellery will be valued and you will receive a firm price offer and details about how your jewellery was priced. If you accept our offer you can receive payment by bank transfer.
To sell your jewellery today, call 0121-288-8280 to speak with one of our jewellery experts today, or click the button below to get your offer.