Knowing your watch’s model number is important for a variety of reasons. Whether you are preparing to get your watch serviced or want to sell your timepiece, the model number will allow everyone to understand...
How to Sell my WatchMay 21, 2018 - Watch Articles
How to sell my watch in 4 easy steps:
1. Find a reputable watch buyer
Below are the most popular watch buyers for you to consider:
- Pawnshops: Considered to be a quick, local and convenient way to get paid for your watch in cash. While pawnshops may seem tempting, keep in mind that they do not have a staff of trained horologists with the necessary skills and experience to accurately evaluate your watch. Typically, pawnshops make cautious offers which means that you will lose out on profits you could have made elsewhere.
- Auction Houses: A traditional selling option for high value items, auction houses employ horologists who can assess the worth of your timepiece. Selling with an auction house is partially a waiting game. You will need to wait for an auction to be held and for your watch to actually sell during an auction, which could take months. If your watch is sold, the auction house will take a percentage of your profits.
- Private Buyers: There are multiple user-friendly websites such as Craigslist, eBay and Facebook that let you put your watch up for sale. This way, you get to sell your watch directly to its buyer for your desired price. While selling your timepiece at your own price sounds ideal, accurately pricing your watch is difficult without the necessary understanding of the second-hand watch market. You will also need to wait for someone who is interested in your exact watch, at the exact price that you are looking to sell it at which can take some time. It is also very important to be wary of scammers.
- Expert Watch Buyers: To sell your watch safely, quickly and easily, your best option is to work with experienced watch buyers. At WP Diamonds, we have the necessary experience and buying power in order to give you an honest and competitive offer for your watch. Our team of watch experts can best evaluate your watch in accordance to the second-hand luxury watch market. Our process is completely free, secure and at no risk to you. You can even get paid in as little as 24 hours after completing our online form. Best of all, there are no hidden fees or commissions that will be deducted from your final offer. Our secure and expert service has earned us an A+ rating from the BBB and hundreds of positive customer reviews. Whether you are wondering “how to sell my watch in the US”, “how to sell my watch in the UK” or anywhere else in the world, WP Diamonds is an international watch buyer that works with customers throughout the globe.
2. Determine the value of your watch
Now that you have a watch buyer in mind, the next step is gathering all of the information about your watch. The following will affect the value of your watch:
- Brand: Some watch brands have stronger resale value than others, such as Rolex.
- Model: Certain watch models, i.e. vintage or limited edition watches, can be in higher demand than others. You can find your watch’s model number on its official paperwork and some brands print the number on the back of the watch’s case.
- Condition: The condition of your watch plays a crucial role in its resale value. If your watch has not been serviced in several years, is broken or has been repaired with pieces from another brand, its value will be negatively affected. Alternately, if your watch is in good condition with regular servicing, its resale value will be stronger. Be sure to hold onto your servicing papers to demonstrate to potential buyers that your watch had been professionally maintained.
- Box and Papers: These are the official box and papers that came with your watch when it was purchased. By having your watch’s box and papers, you can illustrate your watch’s authenticity and get a higher final offer. Collectors prefer to buy watches, particularly vintage and limited edition watches, with their original box and papers in good condition. However, you can still sell your timepiece without its box and papers.
3. Get a quote
With your watch buyer in mind and all the necessary information about your timepiece ready, it’s time to get a quote for your watch. When you work with WP Diamonds, getting a price quote is easy. Once you complete our simple online form, one of our watch experts will get back to you with a price estimate.
4. Get paid
When customers ask us “how to sell my watch to WP Diamonds?”, we always offer two convenient selling methods:
- In-person final evaluation: You can schedule an appointment at one of our modern, comfortable and secure offices in New York, the UK or Hong Kong. Your appointment will be about 30 minutes long, during which one of our horologists will conduct a thorough evaluation of your watch, provide you with a firm offer and explanation of how your watch’s characteristics factored into its final price. You can accept payment for your timepiece by wire, check or cash (in-person appointments only).
- Online final evaluation: Our most popular selling method is sending in your timepiece from the comfort of your home. We offer a free, fully insured, trackable and overnight mailing service. When your watch arrives at our office it will be opened on camera and you will be notified of its arrival. Once it is evaluated by our experts, we will contact you with your final offer and detailed explanation of how we priced your watch. You can receive payment through wire or check. If you would rather have your watch returned, we will mail it back to you for free through the same insured and trackable mailing service at no expense to you.
To learn how much your watch is worth today, click the button below or call 646-758-0270 to speak with our experts today.