Diamonds may be forever, but they are no exception when it comes to trends. As a gemologist, I see different diamond styles and diamond trends come in and out of fashion every year. Whether it’s a prefer...
How To Sell Diamond EarringsApril 5, 2017 - Diamond Articles
Diamond earrings come in all different shapes and sizes – from modest diamond studs to larger, more intricate and flamboyant pieces. If you own a pair of diamond earrings that you either bought a considerable amount of time ago, or were gifted to you, you might be asking yourself: how much are my diamond earrings worth?
When looking to sell diamond earrings, there are a number of different factors to take into account. There are also a number of different ways to approach selling your diamond jewelry.
HOW MUCH ARE MY DIAMOND EARRINGS WORTH?
The value of diamond earrings can vary greatly. The factors that are taken into consideration when assessing the value of your diamond earrings are the following:
- The brand – If your diamond earrings are from a prestigious brand, this will contribute to the value of your jewelry.
- Vintage or antique – Rare jewelry items, such as certain vintage or antique models, will often be worth more than others. However, simply because your jewelry is old, does not mean that it is necessarily rare.
- The condition – Your diamond jewelry will only fetch its true value if it has been kept in immaculate condition. Any scratches or damage to the jewelry, especially the diamonds, will decrease its value.
- The diamond itself – The main information you need to know about your diamond in order to receive an initial price quote is: color grade, clarity grade and the carat weight.
HOW TO SELL DIAMOND EARRINGS?
1. Gather your documentation
When your diamond earrings were purchased, they will most likely have come in a box with papers including the information about your jewelry.
What do I do if I have no information on my diamond earrings? A local jewelers can normally provide this free of charge. Simply ask for a rough idea of the carat weight, color grade and clarity grade of the largest stone. Although most jewelers will require payment for a written appraisal, a verbal appraisal should be given to you free of charge.
2. Decide how you would like to sell diamond earrings
You have a variety of options available when considering where to sell diamond earrings. Be sure to weigh up the pros and cons of each option and make an informed decision.
- Pawn Shop: When you need cash fast but are not looking to part with your diamond earrings, pawning your diamond earrings is an obvious choice. Always bear in mind that you will need to pay interest on the loan so it really is only a very short term solution.
- Online Auction Site: Websites such as Craigslist and EBay enable you to sell diamond earrings online. The main difficulty with this, however, is that you will not benefit from working with diamond experts who can accurately price your piece. There is also no guarantee that your earrings will sell, they may be listed for a long period of time and if they do sell, there is always a price paid to the online auction service.
- Auction House: While selling diamond earrings at auction is a good way to work with specialists, this is a long process with fees involved. Furthermore, only certain types of rare and incredibly high value pieces are suited to sell at an auction house.
- Jewelers: Your local jewelry store may offer a consignment service. Once again there are fees involved with this and it can take months or even years for the earrings to sell as they are only being exposed to customers in the local area.
- Expert Diamond Buyers: Our diamond experts at WP Diamonds are GIA trained gemologists with extensive knowledge of the secondhand diamond market. As such we are best placed to accurately value your piece and have you paid in as little as 2 days. With an A+ rating from the BBB, we provide an entirely free and secure transaction with no hidden fees. Our process is professional and streamlined to make selling your diamond earrings quick and easy.
3. Get your price quote
Simply fill out our online form today to receive your bespoke price quote.