Deciding what to keep and what to clear out of your life post-divorce can be an incredibly daunting task. Jewelry tends to carry significant emotional weight and can be difficult to part. However, doing so can...
How To Sell Antique JewelryApril 19, 2017 - Jewelry Articles
Whether you inherited jewelry or simply have pieces you no longer wear, you may be looking to sell antique jewelry. Antique jewelry is commonly categorized as jewelry that is older than 100 years. It can serve as more than just a memento of the past; selling your pieces can be an exciting and profitable venture. But valuing antique jewelry is a complex and specialized area.
How to sell antique jewelry:
1. Gather Information
- Certificates or papers from the store where it was purchased
- Any appraisals you may have or papers about the provenance of the piece
This information is important to help the jewelry buyer understand the quality and value of your piece and properly price it.
If you don’t have any information on your antique jewelry
With antique jewelry, it is common to not be able to track down any certificates or original papers. In this case, you can visit a local jeweler who will be able to assess your jewelry and give you a free verbal appraisal. A jeweler will be able to provide vital information about the material and any diamonds or gems your piece may contain. This information is crucial for assessing and selling your antique jewelry.
It may be the case, however, that a jeweler will not be able to ascertain when the item was made, what type of jewelry it is and what is it worth on the secondhand market. For this you would need to work with an antique jewelry expert. Fill out our online form and include photos of the item to receive a price quote from our specialists.
2. Get a price quote
To get the highest price, it is important to work work with specialists. Antique jewelry is such a specialized market, only trained buyers can accurately determine:
- The era from which your piece was produced
- Conclude whether the item is a replica or not
- Assess the condition of the item
- Determine the precise value of your piece
Due to the range and intricacies of antique jewelry, untrained professionals simply do not have the skill or knowledge to assess your item. Our experts at WP Diamonds have extensive knowledge of vintage and antique pieces, get your price quote today.
How much is my antique jewelry worth?
The primary factors that will determine the value of your piece are:
- Brand: Certain brands will signify a higher value.
- Rarity: If your antique jewelry is a particularly unique piece or a rare model, its value will be greatly increased.
- Era: When the piece of jewelry was created can greatly impact its value. Certain stylistic periods are more popular in the current market than others.
- Material: A higher quality material will fetch a greater price.
- Condition: The more pristine the condition of the jewelry, greater the value of the jewelry. Evidence of repair can decrease value.
- Gems/Diamonds: Any gems or diamonds can add tremendous value to your piece. The quality (clarity, color, and carat weight) of the diamonds can also greatly determine the value of your piece.
3. Choose an antique jewelry buyer
Choosing a trained buyer who has experience valuing and buying antique jewelry will ensure your jewelry is correctly valued.
A pawnshop is a local option if you are looking for a loan rather than a cash payout. The biggest downside to using a pawnshop to sell your item is that pawnshops do not specialize in antique jewelry or estate jewelry, so you may not receive top dollar. You will also need to pay high interest rates if you would like to re-obtain your piece.
Although specialty auction houses are well versed in antique jewelry, finding an auction house can be challenging. Furthermore, selling your jewelry through an auction house can be a lengthy process. Ultimately, the auction house takes a considerable cut of the final price; the winning bid is not what the buyer will receive.
Online Auction Sites
Online auction sites are a difficult place to sell antique jewelry. Even with research, you may unknowingly incorrectly price your jewelry.
Selling to a jewelry store on consignment is a risky option, as jewelers are often not knowledgeable about the particularities of antique jewelry. Furthermore, jewelers may take a large percentage of the value of your jewelry and the selling process may take longer than expected.
Selling to a specialist buyer, such as WP Diamonds, is the simplest and most secure way to sell. Our expert buyers have extensive experience valuing vintage jewelry, antique and estate jewelry. Fill out the online form and we will be in touch shortly with a price quote.
From there, you can schedule an appointment in New York City, Tokyo, Hong Kong or in the UK. Or we can organize free shipping and insurance of your piece to our headquarters where we will examine and price your item.
We buy your jewelry directly and the entire process can take as little as 24 hours. With unparalleled customer service and strong prices, our service has earned an A+ BBB rating and over a thousand customer reviews.