Top 8 Best Royal Engagement Rings
Royal weddings are a cause for celebration across the world and as we look forward to Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s big day, the world is predicting and anticipating what makeup, dress and jewelry Meghan will be wearing. Yet, before any wedding comes an engagement and what we do know is that Harry proposed to Meghan with a stunning three-stone engagement ring, designed by the Prince himself.
Let’s take a look at some of the most iconic royal engagement rings, from iconic sapphire rings to massive diamond engagement rings.
What Are The Best Royal Engagement Rings?
- Meghan Markle’s engagement ring
- Kate Middleton and Princess Diana’s engagement ring
- Grace Kelly’s two engagement rings
- Princess Eugenie of York’s blush colored ring
- Wallis Simpson engraved ring
- Princess Charlene of Monaco’s Maison Repossi engagement ring
- Queen Letizia of Spain’s engagement ring
- Princess Sofia of Sweden ring designed by her husband
1. Meghan Markle’s Engagement Ring
- The story: Meghan Markle and Prince Harry first met in 2016 and their relationship was officially announced in the November of the same year. When Harry proposed to Meghan it was a low-key affair: the pair had been having a relaxed evening cooking at their home when Harry got down on one knee and proposed.
- The ring: Meghan Markle’s three-stone engagement ring features a 3-carat cushion cut diamond in the center and two smaller stones on either side, set on a yellow gold band. It is estimated to be worth a whopping $500,000-$1 million.
2. Kate Middleton And Princess Diana’s Engagement Ring
- The story: Prince Charles first proposed with the ring to Lady Diana Spencer in 1981 during a dinner. Prince William proposed to Kate Middleton with his mother’s engagement ring, because he wanted his mother to be a part of the celebrations. He proposed at Mount Kenya while vacationing with Kate and friends.
- The ring: Set in 18-karat white gold the ring features an oval cut Garrard 12-carat Ceylon sapphire surrounded by solitaire diamonds.
3. Grace Kelly’s Two Engagement Rings
- The story: Grace Kelly’s engagement to Rainier III, Prince of Monaco happened much quicker than most. Having previously met Grace Kelly at a photoshoot, the prince went to Philadelphia to meet Grace Kelly again and three days later he proposed. Initially he proposed to her with a Cartier ring, but later offered her a more lavish style by the same designer.
- The rings: The initial engagement ring was a Cartier ruby and diamond eternity ring. The second ring was another Cartier ring with two baguettes diamonds flanking a 12-carat emerald cut center diamond.
4. Princess Eugenie Of York’s Blush Colored Engagement Ring
- The story: The pair met seven years ago in Verbier, where Brooksbank was working at the time. Jack Brooksbank proposed to Eugenie in January 2018 on a trip to Nicaragua.
- The ring: A padparadscha blush colored sapphire engagement ring surrounded by diamonds.
5. Wallis Simpson Engraved Ring
- The story: One of the most scandalous love stories within the British monarchy is that of Edward VIII and Wallis Simpson. Edward VIII abdicated his position as the King of England the very same year as being handed over the title, in order to marry a divorced American woman, Wallis Simpson.
- The ring: Edward VIII gave Wallis Simpson a Cartier 19.77 carat Emerald cut engagement ring, with the following message engraved on the ring: “We are ours now 27 x 36.” 27 x 36 referred to October 27th, 1936, which was the date he proposed. This date actually came before the time of his abdication.
6. Princess Charlene Of Monaco’s Maison Repossi Engagement Ring
- The story: The pair met in 2000 at the Mare Nostrum swimming meet and got engaged ten years later.
- The ring: A three carat pear-shaped diamond ring from Maison Repossi with diamonds on either side of the center stone. The ring is set in 18-carat white gold platinum.
7. Queen Letizia Of Spain’s Engagement Ring
- The story: Letizia Ortiz Rocasolano was a journalist for Television Espana before meeting then Prince Felipe in 2001. The story goes that Felipe asked a journalist friend to set up a dinner between the two. The couple dated in secret until the royal family announced in 2003 that the pair were engaged to be married. Letizia was the first person in Spain to be in line for the throne without any royal blood and she had already been married before.
- The ring: A 16 baguette diamond ring with a white gold trim.
8. Princess Sofia Of Sweden Engagement Ring Designed By Her Husband
- The story: Another controversial relationship, Sofia Hellqvist was a reality TV star and glamour model when she met Prince Philip in 2009 in a club. Five years later the couple quietly got engaged at a secret location.
- The ring: Sofia’s ring contains a round diamond surrounded by a halo of smaller diamonds.
How To Upgrade Your Engagement Ring
Feeling inspired by these royal engagement rings? Upgrading your engagement ring is increasingly popular, as couples often find themselves in a better financial state later in life. If this is the case, you may want to look into selling your original engagement ring in order to afford the ring of your dreams. In other cases, when relationships end you may choose to sell your engagement ring for cash and rather than leave it to gather dust in a drawer.
Selling to WP Diamonds is an easy process: simply fill in our online form and we will contact you with a price quote. We buy your rings, luxury jewelry, watches or handbags directly in as little as 24 hours. Our service is free of charge: there are no fees or commissions deducted from your final offer.
WP Diamonds is an A+ BBB accredited business with an excellent reputation and great reviews online to prove it.