With each new season, there are in-coming jewelry trends, and old pieces that need to be tossed out. This year, WP Diamonds has partnered with leading celebrity stylists to help you decide what to keep and wha...
Jewelry Trends – What’s Hot & What’s NotJuly 6, 2017 - Jewelry Articles
Trends come and go at an always rapid pace. Looking to stay on top of current jewelry styles? Our list has you covered. From raw stones to fabric chokers, find out what jewelry will elevate your look and what jewelry should be left behind. Read below for the top 5 jewelry items to keep and the top 5 jewelry items to toss this season.
If you’re looking to stay current this year, these five jewelry options are must-buys:
1. Raw Stones/Minerals – The use of raw stones in jewelry items, particularly pendants, is a trend to embrace. Uncut stones are the perfect organic, natural-feeling addition to any outfit. With the concept of crystals and their healing powers gaining popularity outside of the fashion world, the transition of symbolic stones to wearable accessories is only natural. Brands like Givenchy, Stella McCartney, and Marni have adopted the look on their 2017 runways. Uncut stones of all colors and shapes can add a fun splash of color.
2. 1970s Look – 1970s jewelry styles have been making a reappearance this year. 70s vintage jewelry has become a popular collecting area and has seen an increase in demand on the secondhand market. 70s styles such as chunky gold necklaces, thick bangles, attention-grabbing pendants, and long, dangling earrings are especially popular today. Even mood rings, the perennial 70s favorite, have been spotted in designer shops and runways.
3. Layering – Another popular trend this year is layering. Whether it’s layering delicate gold chokers and chains, or layering various hand bracelets, bangles and bracelets, the jewelry layering trend is here to stay. Update your favorite pieces by layering them with something new.
4. Mismatched Earrings— The asymmetrical earring has been sweeping the runways this season. Brands like Versace and J.W. Anderson sent their models down the runway in single earrings, while designers like Loewe and Proenza Schouler embraced the mismatched earring look in their shows. This trend can add a subtle, fresh element to your look. Have fun mixing and matching different earrings and experimenting with different shapes, metals, and stones.
5. Colored Diamonds—In April 2017, the Pink Star, a 59.6-carat internally flawless, fancy vivid pink diamond was sold for $71.2 million, making it the most expensive jewel ever sold at auction. In May 2017, a pair of fancy colored diamond earrings sold for $57.4 million, making them the most expensive earrings ever sold at auction. These record sales have added popularity and excitement to the growing colored diamond industry. Colored diamonds can be found in every color of the rainbow. Whether set in rings, earrings, pendants, or more, colored diamonds are here to stay. If you would like to upgrade your diamond for a more modern, colored choice, simply fill out the online form and you will receive your initial valuation shortly.
If you’re looking for even more jewelry inspiration, check out our list of the top 10 summer jewelry essentials.
These five items are best kept in the back of your closet this year. The jewelry trends you should avoid this season include:
1. Fabric Chokers – Though fabric chokers could once be found adorning celebrities from Kim Kardashian to Rihanna, their popularity is beginning to wane. Chokers have shown they have real staying power beyond just a seasonal fad, but we recommend thin, delicate chain chokers as opposed to thicker, heavier fabric chokers if you are looking to stay on-trend.
2. Tassels – This cute, playful trend could once be seen on everything from bracelets and keychains to earrings and pendants. This year, though, tassels feel a bit dated. Try a statement pendant or a long dangling earring to replace any tassel jewelry.
3. Midi rings – Once touted as an up and coming trend, midi rings never really took hold. Due to their inconvenience, often not fitting on fingers properly, being uncomfortable, and falling off easily, midi rings are best left in the past. Try layering different rings and finger bracelets to achieve a similar, but more modern effect.
4. Brooches – Though brooches experienced a small resurgence on the runway in past years, it’s best to leave this traditional accessory in the past. Brooches often look fussy and can make an effortless outfit look overdone and dated.
5. Feathers – Incorporated in everything from neon feather earrings to long feathery pendants, this boho accessory reached its peak in popularity in recent years. Keep your feathers in the back of your closet to stay on-trend this year.
If you’re still not sure what to keep and what to toss, learn more about jewelry trends, straight off the runway.
Staying Trendy on a Budget
You may be wondering if it’s possible to stay trendy without breaking the bank. It is definitely possible to stay up-to-date on jewelry trends even if you are working with a limited budget. Certain jewelry trends, like layering and wearing mismatched earrings, can be achieved by mixing and matching some of the jewelry you already own. Still, if there are certain pieces you would like to buy that are just out of financial reach, a smart option can be to sell some of your older, less current jewelry pieces. By selling your jewelry, you can receive money to put towards new pieces or you can upgrade your jewelry directly.
Looking to Upgrade Your Jewelry Online?
If you’re looking to upgrade your jewelry or simply sell old pieces to get money for new purchases, WP Diamonds is here to help. WP Diamonds is a BBB A+-rated business that offers a free, secure service for selling your designer jewelry, diamonds, and watches online to receive payment in as little as 24 hours. Simply fill out the online form and one of our in-house experts will be in touch shortly with an initial price quote. If you would like to upgrade your jewelry, you can get up to 20% more on your offer in the form of store credit with our local jewelry store partners or 10% more in store credit at James Allen.