So you have an item of antique jewelry but are wondering how much it is worth. Let’s review some of the factors that affect the value of your antique jewelry and how best to sell: Definition Of Antique Jewel...
How to Sell JewelryNovember 13, 2017 - Jewelry Articles
Get answers to the following questions:
- What is the best place to sell jewelry?
- How much is my jewelry worth?
- How to sell diamond jewelry?
- Is it safe to sell jewelry online?
- How to sell jewelry
Best place to sell jewelry?
When considering where to sell jewelry, there are a few options available:
- EXPERT ONLINE JEWELRY BUYERS –Specialized jewelry buyers, such as WP Diamonds, have qualified gemologists who can most accurately assess and price your jewelry. Online buyers do not have the same high overheads as brick and mortar stores and as specialist jewelry buyers they have the industry connections to offer the best prices. Get your free price quote here and sell jewelry to the industry experts.
- PAWNSHOPS – They offer a fast and easy way to get cash for your jewelry. However, pawnshop workers are not jewelers or gemologists that can accurately assess your jewelry. You will therefore be opening yourself to underselling.
- AUCTION HOUSES – These have diamond experts on staff who can evaluate the characteristics and value of your jewelry. However, you will need to wait for an auction to be held and an interested buyer to be present, therefore this is a process that can take months and there is no guarantee it will sell. Remember that the auction house will also take a cut of your final price.
- ONLINE ADS – With sites like Craigslist, it is easy to put your jewelry up for sale and name your price. However, much like selling at auction, you cannot be certain how long it will take for you jewelry to sell or that it even will. Be sure to exercise caution and not to share any unnecessary personal information. When you do meet the buyer, always meet in a public place with a friend or family member.
How much is my jewelry worth?
Keep in mind that the resell value of your jewelry will not be the same as when you first bought it. Diamonds jewelry and branded jewelry, for example, typically resell for 25% to 50% of their original price, depending on a variety of factors. To receive your price quote from the experts today, simply fill out our online form.
Useful information to include when filling out the online form:
- Photos of the receipt at the time of purchase
- GIA report number
- Photos of any paperwork that came with the jewelry at the time of purchase
- Whether or not you have the original box and papers
- The specific jewelry brand and jewelry collection name
- Photos of your jewelry
Why include photos of the paperwork? These documents not only help establish the characteristics of your piece (metal type, gemstone type, designer brand, age and provenance) but also can help prove the authenticity of your jewelry.
What if you don’t have any paperwork? This is not uncommon. We would suggest going to a local jeweler to get an educated opinion. Jewelers can often give you a good idea about the characteristics of your jewelry for free. For diamond jewelry it important to know the following information on the largest stone: shape, carat weight, color grade, clarity grade and cut grade (cut applies to round diamonds only).
Why are box and papers important? For designer jewelry such as Tiffany or Cartier, you should if possible, also provide the box the jewelry came in. Collectors look to purchase designer jewelry with its box in good condition and its papers. With all of this supplementary material, you are equipped to get a price from a buyer. But don’t worry; you can still sell your jewelry both without the original box and paperwork.
How to sell diamond jewelry?
If you are selling diamond jewelry it is important to establish the 4 C’s of your diamonds, as this is what determines the price of your diamond. Once you have these, you can contact diamond buyers to receive price quotes online. The 4 C’s are:
- Color Grade – This indicates how much color, or lack thereof, that the diamond shows. Color grades range from D to Z with D being colorless and Z being a light yellow. For white diamonds, the less color in the stone, the more valuable it is.
- Clarity Grade – This refers to the presence, of lack thereof, of imperfections in the stone. This grade considers inclusions that are visible on the diamond when set in the jewelry as well as those obstructed when set in the jewelry.
- Carat Weight – This denotes how heavy the stone is, with a single carat weighing about 0.02g. The greater the carat weight, the more valuable the stone.
- Cut Grade – This indicates the cut quality and proportions of the stone. The GIA does not grade fancy cut diamonds so if you see a cut grade associated with a diamond that is not round, this grade is from the jeweler.
This information can be found on diamond certificates such as GIA reports. Alternatively, it may be found on a jewelers appraisal or insurance appraisal.
Is it Safe to Sell Jewelry Online?
It is natural to feel anxious about selling your jewelry online as you do not want to run the risk of getting scammed. However it is completely safe to sell online as long as you choose to work with a reputable and established online buyer. Look for a buyer that is BBB accredited, has great reviews, fully insures your jewelry, and does not have any hidden fees.
How to sell jewelry?
Follow the 4 steps below to sell your jewelry:
- Fill out the online form to receive a price quote
- Schedule an appointment OR receive a free, fully insured overnight shipping label along with shipping instructions
- Send your jewelry in
- Get a final price and get paid OR your items are returned free of charge
It’s as simple as that. By selling your jewelry to WP Diamonds, you are choosing to sell safely and quickly for the best price. The advantages of working with WP Diamonds include:
- Free online quotes: simply fill out our online form to receive yours.
- Sell online or in person: The option of getting a final price for your jewelry either via appointment or through our free and insured overnight shipping service. Should you choose not accept our final price, we simply mail your jewelry back to you at no cost.
- Free service: No commissions or hidden fees, so the offer we give you is the exact amount of money you will receive.
- Fast: Our process is so easy and fast that you can get funds in as little as 24 hours from receiving your initial price quote.
- Trustworthy: You can trust our A+ rating from the BBB and reviews from hundreds of satisfied customers.
- Jewelry Experts: As diamond and jewelry experts with decades of experience in the industry, we have the knowledge and connections necessary to get you the best price for your items.
Click the button below to receive your price quote or call or text our GIA certified gemologists at 646-758-0270 if your have questions about the process.