How To Clean Jewelry At Home
As luxury jewelry experts, we often get asked: how often should you clean your jewelry and how to clean jewelry at home? The reality is that just like everything else that you wear, jewelry gets dirty and needs cleaning. Our experts share their top tips for cleaning diamond jewelry, gold and silver jewelry.
Jewelry is unfortunately an often overlooked area when it comes to cleaning. However, regularly cleaning your jewelry it not only good hygiene but also allows your luxury items to shine.
Get answers to the following:
- How often should you clean your jewelry
- How to clean your jewelry
- What happens to jewelry that is not clean
- How to sell your jewelry online
How Often Should You Clean Your Jewelry?
The rule of thumb is to clean your gold jewelry or designer jewelry at least once every 3 months. Try and find time at least 4 times a year to do a deep clean of all your jewelry items.
Diamonds naturally attract oils and become cloudy looking if dirty. The more you clean you jewelry, the easier it is the next time you clean it. As it will not have a meaningful build up of dirt.
However, how often you clean your jewelry also depends on the following:
1. How regularly the jewelry is worn:
An engagement ring or diamonds studs that are worn on a daily basis will need more regular cleaning than a pendant that is infrequently worn.
2. The type of jewelry:
- Pendants: do not tend to get dirty
- Earrings: get very dirty, especially when makeup is put on
- Rings: get very dirty from daily wear, moisturizer and sun lotion
Our tip: Take jewelry off when putting make-up, sun lotion or moisturizer on. This will minimize how dirty your jewelry becomes.
How To Clean Jewelry At Home?
- Jewelry or cappuccino steamer: Ideally we would recommend using a jewelry steamer, but if you do not have one you can always put the jewelry in a strainer and hold it above the steam vent of a cappuccino machine you have at home
- Dazzle stick: These handy little sticks are perfect to keep with you in your bag or pocket
- Ultrasonic jewelry cleaner: While this may be the most expensive option for cleaning jewelry, this is perfect if you have a large jewelry collection
- Washing up liquid with toothbrush: This easy, at-home DIY option for cleaning jewelry is a tried and tested solution using household items. Create a simple cleaning solution of warm water (not hot water) and a few drops of mild dish soap. Soak for approximately 30 minutes then brush gently with a soft toothbrush. Dry the jewelry with a lint free cloth, soft cloth or polishing cloth or allow to air dry.
- Use bleach or chlorine based solutions
- Clean opals or pearls with any harsh cleaning solutions
What Happens To Jewelry That Is Never Cleaned?
It becomes dirty which in turn means that the jewelry becomes darker, less colorful, loses its luster and sparkle. Ultimately it’s less hygienic and we recommend giving your jewelry collection a spring clean every few months.
How To Sell Jewelry
Perhaps you are cleaning jewelry with a view to sell it on or perhaps you came across items you no longer wear in your jewelry box. If that is the case, WP Diamonds is here to help. From Birkin handbags to Hublot watches to diamond engagement rings, we buy your items directly. We provide a simple, safe way to sell luxury jewelry, watches and handbags in as little as 24 hours.
How it works
- Simply complete our online form to receive your price quote from the experts.
- Our experts will be in touch with your price quote
- Send your items in (free shipping and insurance provided) or schedule an appointment in NYC, Tokyo, Hong Kong or the UK
- Get paid or your items are returned free of charge
We provide honest price quotes and exceptional customer service. With an A+ BBB rating and over 1,000 customer reviews to date, WP Diamonds is the modern and professional alternative to pawnbrokers, auction houses and online listings. Our service is free of charge, with no obligation to sell, fees or commissions deducted from your final offer.