How Much Is A Birkin Bag?February 22, 2021 - Handbag Articles
A new Hermès Birkin handbag might cost you anywhere from $8,500 to almost $2 million. But first, find out why they are such a status symbol:
- Why does a Birkin bag cost so much
- How much is a Birkin bag
- Where to buy Birkin bags for the best price
- Where to sell Birkin bags for the best price
- History of the Birkin
Why does a Birkin bag cost so much?
- Birkins trademark saddle-stitching: This hand-sewn double stitch stands up to stress far better and longer than a machine stitch. If one of the two stitches gives way, the other will keep doing its job.
- Artisan-made: Training in everything from saddle-stitching to color dyeing may take anywhere from a month up to a decade.
- Scarcity: Buyers sometimes competitively pay extra for bags with limited availability. And in a savvy move, manufacturer Hermès limits the number of Birkins a client can purchase per year. Some Birkins remain so elusive, they sometimes get referred to as holy grails.
- Resale ROI: Between 1981 and 2016, Birkins’ resale value went up a whopping 500%. Their value was predicted to double over the next 10 years.
- Cachet: A-list celebrity Birkin-owners include Victoria Beckham, who reportedly owns over 100 Birkins valued at over $2 million. The Who’s Who of Birkin toters continues with Cardi B, Kim Kardashian, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Paris Hilton, Lindsey Lohan, Heidi Klum, Lady Gaga, and — of course! — the Kardashians.
- Functionality: As reliable as they are super fashionable, Birkins offer plenty of room to hold whatever you need for a day, night, weekend, or more, keeping everything securely inside with reliable closures.
How much is a Birkin bag?
Birkin bags range from $8,500 to $2 million. When it comes to the bags themselves, Birkin prices — even among the same bag model — vary according to:
- Size: A Birkin’s size is always included in its name (usually in centimeters).
- Material: Different leathers have different prices, and exotic materials tend to be the most costly. In general, a canvas bag will cost less than a leather one in the same style and size.
- Hardware: For example, a Birkin sparkling with encrusted Swarovski crystals will leave your wallet emptier than one with shiny gold-plate accents.
- Limited-Edition Status: This often increases price.
- Custom-Order Status: A Birkin tailor-made for its toter means a custom-made (usually higher) price.
- Location: Prices may differ from country to country. Lower-end Birkins with plain hardware may retail for about $2,000 more in the United States than in Europe.
- Bling: Including diamonds
As mentioned before, a lively resale market exists for Birkins. Also, Birkins are not infrequently sold at auction, including at the legendary Sotheby’s.
Price of Hermes 2002 26 Bag: $9,200/$10,200
If you don’t stan logo bags, you’ll appreciate that the inscribed “H” is not easily discernible. This redesigned 1970s favorite flap shoulder bag has a boxy shape and two interior compartments. Unlike the pocket-crazy Birkin Cargo below, this has no external pockets, but inside is a zippered pocket and a phone pocket with extra room. It only became available online in 2018.
Retail Price of Birkin Togo 25cm: $9,850
Scratch-resistant, shape-maintaining togo leather remains the most popular Birkin leather. A more affordable Birkin (sort of the Hyundai of Hermès, if such a thing can exist):
- Rolled top handles
- Strap closure
- Front flap
- Shiny palladium hardware.
- Carry it by hand or over the elbow
- Lock and key
Retail Price of a Birkin 35: $12,000
The prototypical big Birkin; the Birkin GOAT* tote. (*Greatest Of All Time.) Originally designed at the behest of Jane Birkin, a singer-actress and mom, whose straw satchel full of belongings spilled from an overhead plane compartment when she just happened to be sitting next to Jean-Louis Dumas, then the Executive Chairman of Hermès. The original even had a dedicated space for a baby bottle!
Retail Price of a Birkin Cargo: $80,000
Practical and stylish, this is the military-inspired Birkin that rap star Cardi B recently went all-in (and all-out) for:
- External pockets, pockets, and more pockets
- Sturdy canvas combined with leather
- Detachable cupholder!
Retail Price of Sac Birkin Faubourg: $200,000
Imagine carrying the Birkin flagship store with you! This totable 2019 very-limited-edition recreation of 24 Rue du Faubourg Saint-Honoré, Paris, lets you do just that — right down to the Hermès-orange awnings — by meticulous crafting with assorted leathers and metal parts.
Retail Price of Hermes Birkin Bag by Ginza Tanaka: $1.4 Million
Win the lottery, then shade your eyes when looking at this gem of a handbag. It’s only the second most expensive Birkin ever, and it sparkles with:
- 2,000 diamonds on the outside plus,
- an 8-karat detachable diamond you can pin on as a brooch plus,
- a diamond strap that detaches for wear as a bracelet or necklace
For now, just look at its picture or you could end up a Birkin bag-lady!
Where to buy Birkin bags for the best price?
Skip the wait list and shop a wide array of pre-owned and expertly authenticated Hermès Birkin bags on our sister site, Gemma by WP Diamonds.
How to sell Birkin bags for the best price
At WP Diamonds, we provide a fast, easy and secure way to sell Birkin handbags for the best prices. From crocodile skin Birkin to leather Birkins with gold hardware, we buy a wide range of Birkin bags. With an A+ BBB rating and over one thousand customer reviews, we pride ourselves on our exceptional customer service.
About WP Diamonds
WP Diamonds is the modern and professional alternative to pawnbrokers, auctions and online listings. We buy your luxury items directly and believe in honest price quotes and transparent pricing. As such, our streamlined service is free of charge and there are no fees or commissions deducted from your final offer.
Sell online or in person; our entire process can take as little as 24 hours from start to finish. Appointments are available with our luxury handbag experts in New York, the UK, Tokyo and Hong Kong. We also provide free, fully insured shipping to send your items in to our offices.
Get your price quote from our luxury experts today.
The History of the Birkin
The Birkin was born on an Air France flight from Paris to London, over 35 years ago, in 1984. English actress Jane Birkin was sat next to Jean-Louis Dumas and lamented not being able to find a suitable bag as a new mother. The Chief Executive of Hermes quickly sketched the perfect bag and the Birkin was created.