Jewelry and relationships are intertwined. When a family member passes, and siblings are left behind to divide precious family heirlooms, emotions are connected to the decisions made as they are divided. So wh...
Engagement ring upgrade inspirationAugust 29, 2017 - Diamond Articles
If you are looking to upgrade your ring, find out how you can do so easily:
- Reasons to upgrade your engagement ring
- Engagement ring upgrade inspiration
- Ways to reset your engagement ring
- Four easy steps to upgrade your engagement ring
1. REASONS TO UPGRADE YOUR ENGAGEMENT RING
One question that we often hear is “Is it okay to upgrade my engagement ring?”. The reality is that upgrading your engagement ring has become common practice. It is not something to shy away from or feel is taboo. There are a number of valid reasons why couples opt for an engagement ring upgrade:
- Preference change – As time changes, so does your taste in jewelry. You may no longer be, or never have been, happy with your engagement ring’s size, shape, setting, or even stone color. One way to address this is repurposing your ring to reflect your current taste and style.
- Joint purchase- In many cases, the engagement ring was not a joint purchase. It was bought by one person with no input from the other. Upgrading your engagement ring provides you with the opportunity to make a purchase with input from both parties and buy something together that you both love.
- Outdated style – One thing that constantly changes and evolves is fashion. A ring that was bought 20 years ago may now look outdated and some women opt to upgrade for a more modern looking piece. Diamond shapes, for example, change in popularity over the years. While marquise cut diamonds were in vogue in the 1990s, they have since fallen out of favor and cushion cut diamonds are now all the rage.
- Improved finances– It’s common for couples to start with a simple engagement ring, followed by the promise of upgrading one day. So when finances are no longer a worry and you have more disposable income, grab the chance to upgrade your ring.
- Milestone celebration – Many couples like to upgrade their engagement into something new and fresh. Some couples also do this to mark key events in their relationships such as a renewal of vows or an anniversary.
- Refashioning a family heirloom – While many prefer to preserve family heirlooms, some are open to revamping and modernizing inherited jewelry.
- Damaged engagement ring – Over time, engagement rings can sustain damage. A ring may need to be serviced, if not totally changed. Some couples take this positively and choose to move forward with a new ring instead.
2. ENGAGEMENT RING UPGRADE INSPIRATION
We have put together a list of engagement ring ideas to give you inspiration. It is important to know what you are looking for when upgrading your ring. Are you looking for a larger diamond? A gemstone? A different band?
3. WAYS TO RESET YOUR ENGAGEMENT RING
If you are sentimentally attached to your engagement ring, but still looking for change, many opt to upgrade one element of the ring rather than the entire ring. Here are several changes you may apply to it:
- Ring wrap, guard or enhancer – You may purchase a ring enhancer to amplify the aesthetic of your engagement ring. It is another ring (or a couple of rings) wrapped around your engagement ring to give it a dramatic look. Be careful in choosing which ring enhancer is best for the size and cut of your current diamond.
- Band – You may add or alter the band according to your preference by changing the metal, size, or design. If you have a solitaire ring on a plain gold setting, you could opt for a pave diamond band for added sparkle.
- Modifying the setting – You may choose a ring setting like the Bezel to better protect your stone from damages or a halo to make the center stone appear larger.
- Adding accents stones – If you are looking for a simple yet dramatic change, adding side stones to the engagement ring is a good option. Adding colored stones will give your ring a unique look and a pop of color.
- Upgrading your diamond – Upgrading your diamond for a better quality stone (larger diamond, better cut, clarity or color grade) is common practice.
4. FOUR EASY STEPS TO UPGRADE YOUR ENGAGEMENT RING
If you have made the decision to change your engagement ring, we have outlined the steps to follow:
- Sell the ring – If you don’t love your engagement ring, let it go. You can sell the entire engagement ring or the just the main stone if you intend to repurpose the ring. At WP Diamonds, we provide a quick, safe and easy way to sell and put the money towards an upgrade. Accept the offer in cash or in store credit for up to 20% more on your offer. We have partnered with James Allen and jewelers throughout the US to give you a wide choice of high quality jewelry when you upgrade.
- Determine your budget – Once you’ve sold your ring, it’s time to determine a realistic budget for your new ring.
- Decide on the ring style – This time around, you are free to choose your own ring. Do your research and find which style will suit you best. Things to consider include: metal type, setting type, shape, size, and quality of the stone and diamonds vs. gemstones.
- Buy a new ring – Lock in your decision by buying the ring of your dream from one of WP Diamonds’ partners.
Simply click the button below to get started upgrading your engagement ring.