Who Gets To Keep The Ring?
A state by state guide to the law as to who gets to keep the ring after a divorce or breakup
A 2017 WP Diamonds Report
WP Diamonds, a leading online buyer of diamonds, designer jewelry, luxury watches and handbags, is excited to share our state by state guide to who gets to keep the ring in a broken engagement ring or divorce.
Map of the US
As expert engagement ring buyers, we work with hundreds of divorced customers across the US on a daily basis looking to sell their diamond rings and jewelry. We spoke to a family law professional in each US state to see a state by state break down of who gets to keep the ring.
Who gets to keep the ring after divorce or once an engagement is broken?
While in some US states, engagement rings are considered conditional gifts, in others it is considered an unconditional gift. In some US states, the it will depend on if the wedding is called off and by whom. It may also depend on whether you live in a fault based divorce state, if you had a prenuptial agreement in place or if the ring was a family heirloom.
The bottom line is that we the information provided in this report should be used as a guideline. We always recommend seeking legal advice if you have any doubts about your rights when it comes to selling or returning the ring.
How to sell the ring
We provide a convenient and streamlined selling process that can take as little as 24 hours from start to finish.
- Receive a price quote: Simply click the button below to complete our online form. Your dedicated client representative will be in touch shortly with your bespoke price quote.
- Choose how to sell: Then schedule an appointment or request our free, fully insured shipping labels to send your items in for a final price.
- Receive a firm offer: Once our gemologists have inspected your jewelry in person, we will provide a final price.
Payment can be accepted by:
- In store credit for an increased amount
- Should you choose not to accept the offer, we return your items free of charge
Why sell engagement rings to WP Diamonds?
We believe that the process of selling an engagement ring should be professional and stress-free. As such, we pride ourselves on offering unparalleled customer service, transparent, honest and strong prices. There is no cost for our service, commissions or fees deducted from our final price. The amount we tell you is the amount you will receive.
Unlike many traditional gold and diamond buyers, we do not haggle or employ high sales pressure tactics. Finally, we buy your jewelry, watches and handbags directly, there is no waiting for us to sell your pieces on your behalf.