Have you decided to sell your engagement ring but aren’t sure how to start? Looking for the best place to sell a diamond ring? Engagement rings can cost thousands of dollars, but finding the right buyer and g...
Diamond ExpertsDecember 19, 2019 - Diamond Articles
Get answers to these questions:
WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENT TYPES OF DIAMOND EXPERTS?
Anybody can call themselves an expert. There’s your cousin, who fancies herself an expert because she likes to look at diamond jewelry and has been engaged a couple of times. Then there’s the professional gemologist who’s invested years in apprenticeship and training and has passed a stringent accreditation examination by the Gemological Institute of America. And there’s also a lot in between those two extremes. Our rundown:
- Professional Diamond Dealers: Specialist diamond buyers, such as WP Diamonds, are made up of GIA trained gemologists with the industry knowledge to best evaluate and price diamonds and diamond jewelry. Because we do a high volume of diamond business, we know the diamond market inside out. We know which cuts are selling best—as well as which diamonds would benefit from a recutting. We understand how fluorescence impacts the value of a stone. The difference between a GIA report and an AGS. As professional diamond buyers, we provide a free, streamlined selling process that can take as little as 24 hours, and gives you the option of selling either online or in person. We believe in providing transparent pricing, honest quotes and an enjoyable selling experience.
- Jewelers: In addition to their years of experience in the business, most jewelers have gone through some kind of formal certification or training. The problem is that even if local jewelers have had top-notch training, they probably do not do a volume business in buying and selling diamonds and, as a result, may not be up to date on diamond market trends.
- Pawnshops. Like jewelers, most pawnbrokers can do a basic evaluation and price estimate. Again, because they don’t do a volume business in diamonds, they won’t be up to date on diamond market trends and often make cautious, low offers.
- Amateur Diamond Buyers: Thanks to platforms like eBay and Craigslist, there are more amateur diamond buyers than ever before. But sites are only as trustworthy as the people using them, so beware of scams: buyers who claim your stone is a fake and demand a price reduction; haggling after the transaction is complete; or someone who returns your diamond jewelry after they swap out the stone for a CZ or a diamond of lesser value.
WHAT TO LOOK FOR IN DIAMOND EXPERTS
How can you know that you are working with someone reputable? We strongly recommend working with diamond experts who meet the following criteria:
- Training: The gemologist who evaluates your stone should have formal training and be certified by the Gemological Institute of America.
- Experience: Diamond grading is complex, so look for a business that employs a gemologist who works with diamonds day in and day out. Assessing the exact characteristics of a stone and ascertaining current market worth requires pricing expertise as well as technical knowledge. A diamond expert needs both to best assess the quality and value of diamond jewelry on the second-hand market.
- Reputation: Only work with professionals who have an excellent rating with the Better Business Bureau and plenty of outstanding reviews from previous customers. Bad reviews—or few reviews—are a red flag.
- Safety: Diamonds should be secure, fully insured, and trackable at all times. At WP Diamonds, for example, a diamond is insured every step of the way, and all packages are opened on camera for maximum security.
- Convenience: A true expert will provide a seamless and transparent selling process both online or in person.
- Strong Prices: Established diamond experts should possess the necessary industry connections in order to provide clients with competitive offers.
- Free Service: Some buyers deduct fees or commissions before paying you. A reputable diamond buyer will offer a free service with no hidden costs.
WHO IS THE BEST DIAMOND BUYER?
WP Diamonds was founded in 2012 by industry veterans who recognized the lack of viable routes for selling diamonds quickly and easily. We fundamentally believe that the process of selling should be enjoyable as the process of buying. As such, we offer a streamlined, simple, and entirely painless selling process. We pride ourselves on providing not just strong prices, but also a convenient, discreet, and professional process with unparalleled customer service.
What sets us apart from other diamond jewelry buyers: an expansive network of industry connections and a team of experienced diamond experts. That means that we are always able to offer strong prices. Unlike other buyers of pre-owned diamond jewelry, you never have to wait weeks to hear a price from us. In fact, the entire process can take as little as 24 hours. We offer the option to sell online or in person and take the safety of your diamonds seriously: free and fully insured overnight shipping, packages opened on camera for our customers’ protection, and a guarantee that we will safely return any items you choose not sell.
Our commitment to excellence is backed by our A+ rating with the BBB and hundreds of outstanding customer reviews. Best of all, our process is entirely free, and we never take out any fees from your final offer.
Sell your diamond jewelry in five simple steps:
- Complete our online form.
- Receive an initial price quote.
- Request a free, fully insured, trackable and overnight mailing label to send your jewelry to our office or schedule an in-person appointment at one of our offices in New York, the UK or Hong Kong.
- Receive your final offer.
- Accept payment by wire transfer or check. Or, if you decide not to accept our offer, request that your diamond be returned to you—for free.
HOW CAN I GET THE BEST PRICE FOR MY DIAMONDS?
Sell to diamond experts: By selling to diamond experts, such as WP Diamonds, you ensure that you are working with trained gemologists who know how to accurately price diamond jewelry.
Preserve any paperwork: Diamond jewelry from elite brands like Tiffany & Co. or Cartier comes with a presentation box and a certificate of authenticity. You’ll get your best price if you keep these materials in good condition and include them with the jewelry.
Diamond Certification: You may have a certificate from a grading lab detailing the diamond’s characteristics—but be aware that some labs are more generous with their valuations than others. Among the many diamond-grading labs, GIA certification is considered to be the most accurate and detailed.
Click the button below to get your price quote from the experts today.