Jewelry and relationships are intertwined. Giving and receiving jewels is one of the ways we express our deepest feelings to those we give them to. In our culture, no major life passage goes without a peace of...
What is My Designer Jewelry Worth?March 23, 2017 - Jewelry Articles
Whether you are looking to sell your designer jewelry (Cartier bracelet, your Graff ring or Tiffany necklace etc) you will be most likely wondering: how much is my designer jewelry worth? To understand how much you could be paid for your designer jewelry here is a short explanation of how designer jewelry experts value your pieces.
- What affects designer jewelry value?
- How to determine what your jewelry is worth
- How to sell designer jewelry safely
What Affects Designer Jewelry Value?
Various factors are taken into consideration by expert jewelry buyers when making an offer on your designer jewelry. These include:
– The Maker: Who created, designed and executed the piece? Certain jewelry houses, and their designers, command a premium. If you still have the original box and papers that came with the jewelry when purchased, this adds to its value.
– The Material: When it comes to precious metals, 18K is worth more than 14K, and certain gemstones are more desirable than others. A natural pearl is rarer than a cultured pearl, and is worth significantly more.
– The Stylistic Period: Some periods are having resurgence in popularity—Art Deco jewelry, for example has proven very popular in recent years. When the piece was made also matters, is it modern, vintage or antique?
– The Provenance: Was the jewelry owned by anyone of importance (celebrity/historical figure)? If so, it could demand a premium.
– The Quality of the Diamond or Gemstone: For gemstones, there are many quality factors that affect value. Price increases with carat weight. Depending on the gemstone, certain colors will be desired. Clarity also influences value, particularly in stones such as diamonds. Transparency can be important as well in jade for example, where translucent stones have higher value than opaque ones. The cut can also affect appearance, with undesirable effects when cut too shallow or deep. Optical effects can also increase value. An exceptional play of color for opal, or a beautiful natural cat’s eye or star can add value to a gemstone.
– Condition: The overall condition of jewelry is key. If all the original findings are in place and held together well, none of the stones have been damaged, and none of the enameling has come off, that is an excellent sign. Also, it is important to look for evidence of repair. This can decrease the value.
– Popularity: Is the style of jewelry popular or is it no longer in style? If a style is “coming back,” it can command more money on the second-hand market. Pins or belt buckles can be stunning, for example, but are unfortunately worth less than if there was a high demand from buyers.
How to determine what your jewelry is worth
So what is your jewelry worth and how can you get a price quote? Simply complete our online form to receive your bespoke quote.
When determining the value of your designer jewelry on the second-hand market, it is important not to confuse retail value, insurance appraisal value and second-hand market value.
1. Designer Jewelry Retail Value
When designer jewelry is purchased at a retail location, the number on the tag reflects costs beyond the jewelry being held in one’s hand. For example, if you have an art deco sapphire and diamond bracelet, the bracelet bears the cost of labor and materials reflecting the dozens of hands it has passed through.
There is a price associated with: mining equipment, the labor of the miners, the maintenance of facilities, the sawing, cutting, faceting and polishing of each gemstone (and each step is often done by separate individuals), safety precautions for workers, precious metal, setting, jewelry design, colored gemstone and diamond dealers, distributors, shipping, wholesale sales associates, and trade shows…and this is before the piece reaches the store. Once a store has purchased the bracelet, its costs include rent, staff, marketing, inventory investment, electricity, heat, showcases and more. The bracelet has been marked up from mine to market to fairly absorb all of these expenses.
2. Designer Jewelry Insurance Appraisal Value
Defined as the highest monetary amount that would be required to replace a property with another of similar age, quality, origin, appearance, provenance, and condition within a reasonable length of time in an appropriate and relevant market. These tend to be highly inflated as it allows insurance companies to charge high premiums for jewelry that has a much lower replacement cost.
3. Designer Jewelry Second-hand Value
This is the price of your pre-owned designer jewelry on the second-hand market. When selling your designer jewelry, you can typically expect to receive 20%-50% of retail price.
Why is this?
When you buy a brand new car at the dealership, a premium is paid. When the car is driven off the lot just a few hours later, the value of the car has instantaneously decreased. It can no longer be sold for the price it was purchased for. As a general rule, there is depreciation from retail to second-hand. Now think about all the markups that go into the price you see when you purchase a piece of jewelry at the store. When you go to re-sell your designer jewelry, those costs have been covered in the retail price you paid.
How to Sell Designer Jewelry Safely
- Fill out the online form
- Get your price quote
- Schedule an appointment OR use our free, fully insured overnight shipping
- Get paid
An A+ BBB rated jewelry buyer with hundreds of customer reviews, we buy your designer jewelry for competitive prices. With a quick and streamlined process, you can have cash in your account in as little as 24 hours. Sell online or in person, our secure service is entirely free of charge. We provide honest price quotes and there are no fees or commissions deducted from your final offer. Whether you are selling Tiffany, Cartier, Graff or another designer jewelry brand piece, click the button below to get your free quote today.