What is My Designer Jewelry Worth?
Whether you are looking to sell your designer jewelry (Cartier bracelet, your Graff ring or Tiffany necklace etc) you will be most likely wondering: how much is my designer jewelry worth? To understand how much you could be paid for your designer jewelry here is a short explanation of how designer jewelry experts value your pieces.
If you are looking to sell designer jewelry (Cartier bracelet, your Graff necklace or Tiffany engagement ring) you will be most likely wondering: how much is my designer jewelry worth? To understand how much you could be paid for your designer jewelry here is a short explanation of how designer jewelry is priced.
Get answers to the following questions:
- What is my designer jewelry worth
- How to calculate designer jewelry valye
- How to sell designer jewelry safely
What Is My Designer Jewelry Worth?
Various factors are taken into consideration by expert jewelry buyers when making an offer on your designer jewelry. These include:
– Brand: Certain jewelry brands, and their designers, command a premium. If you still have the original box and papers that came with the jewelry when purchased, this adds to its value.
– Material: When it comes to precious metals, 18K gold jewelry is worth more than 14K gold jewelry. And certain gemstones are more desirable than others. A natural pearl is rarer than a cultured pearl, and is worth significantly more.
– Stylistic Period: Some periods are having resurgence in popularity, Art Deco jewelry for example, has proven very popular in recent years.
– Provenance: If your jewelry was owned by anyone of importance (celebrity/historical figure), it could demand a premium.
– Quality of the Diamond or Gemstone: For diamond jewelry and gemstone jewelry, there are many quality factors that affect value. Price increases with carat weight. Depending on the gemstone, certain colors will be desired. Clarity also influences value, particularly in stones such as diamonds.
When selling diamond rings and other diamond jewelry, be sure to work with expert diamond buyers.
Transparency can be important as well in jade for example, where translucent stones have higher value than opaque ones. The cut can also affect appearance, with undesirable effects when cut too shallow or deep. Optical effects can also increase value. An exceptional play of color for opal, or a beautiful natural cat’s eye or star can add value to a gemstone.
– Condition: The overall condition of jewelry is key. If all the original findings are in place, none of the stones have been damaged, and none of the enameling has come off, that is an excellent sign.
– Popularity: Is the style of jewelry currently popular or is it no longer in style? If a style is “coming back,” it can command more money on the second-hand market.
How to calculate what your designer jewelry is worth?
So what is your designer jewelry worth and how can you get a price quote? The answer is simple: complete our online form to receive your bespoke price quote.
When determining the value of your piece of jewelry on the second-hand market, it is important not to confuse:
- Retail value
- Insurance appraisal value
- Second-hand market value
1. Jewelry Retail Value
When designer jewelry is purchased at a retail location, the number on the tag reflects a long line of costs. There is a price associated with:
- Mining equipment
- Labor of the miners
- Maintenance of facilities
- Sawing, cutting, faceting and polishing of each gemstone (and each step is often done by separate individuals)
- Safety precautions for workers
- Precious metal
- Jewelry design
- Colored gemstone and diamond dealers
- Wholesale sales associates
- Trade shows
Once a store has purchased the bracelet, its costs include rent, staff, marketing, inventory investment, electricity, heat, showcases and more. The bracelet has been marked up from mine to market to fairly absorb all of these expenses.
2. Jewelry Insurance Appraisal Value
Defined as the highest monetary amount that would be required to replace a property with another of similar age, quality, origin, appearance, provenance, and condition within a reasonable length of time in an appropriate and relevant market.
Jewelry appraisers tend to highly inflate the insurance appraisal value. This is because it allows insurance companies to charge high premiums for jewelry that has a much lower replacement cost.
3. Jewelry Second-hand Value
This is the price of your pre-owned designer jewelry on the second-hand market. As a general rule, there is depreciation from retail to second-hand. When selling your fine jewelry, you can typically expect to receive 20%-50% of retail price.
Much like when you purchase a brand new car at a dealership, a premium is paid. When the car is driven off the lot just a few hours later, the value of the car has instantaneously decreased.
How to Sell Designer Jewelry Safely
- Fill out the online form
- Get your price quote
- Schedule an appointment OR use our free, fully insured overnight shipping
- Get paid
As an A+ BBB rated jewelry buyer with hundreds of customer reviews, we buy your designer jewelry for competitive prices. With a quick and streamlined process, you can have cash in your account in as little as 24 hours.
Sell jewelry online or in person, our secure service is entirely free of charge. We provide honest price quotes and there are no fees or commissions deducted from your final offer.
At WP Diamonds we buy a wide range of designer jewelry, diamond jewelry, luxury handbags and watches. Including Tiffany, Hermes, Van Cleef & Arpels, Chanel, Graff.