When Do Most Divorces Happen? Why January Is Known As ‘Divorce Month’
You may have found yourself wondering: when do most divorces happen? Is there a surge at any one particular time of year? And if so, why?
We take a close look at divorces any when is the busiest time for family law firms.
- When do most divorces happen?
- Why do most divorces happen in January?
- How to start over after divorce
- Where to sell your second-hand engagement ring
When Do Most Divorces Happen?
Well, January has been dubbed ‘Divorce Month’ by lawyers and statistics alike, shining a light on an unhappy surge in divorce filings and divorce related searches in the New Year. Many divorce lawyers notice a significant bump in divorce filings come January, as well as a general spike in new and questioning clients that often carries through until March.
Why Do Most Divorces Happen In January?
While there is no true way to pinpoint the exact reasons why an individual finally decides to move forward with a divorce, there has been speculation as to why January is when most divorces happen. Usually, if someone has decided in January to file, it points to issues that started well before the holiday, but it is often seen as better to wait until after the holidays to make any final decisions. This is especially true when children are involved.
Another point made was with that the New Year brings a lot of realizations and New Year’s resolutions. Looking at the possibility of another year, in the same marital situation, is often enough to trigger someone to take those first steps toward change.
After a holiday season full of traveling, extended family, and time away from work, the ‘back to reality’ feeling sets in quite quickly with that first Monday back in your old routine. As a result, we see an increase in divorces in January and is often referred to as ‘divorce month’.
How To Start Over After Divorce
Now that we have established when most divorces happen, the next questions is: how does one start over after divorce? While no two divorces are the same, there are some key steps that you can take to navigate your separation:
1. Grieve: A key part of the healing process is to give yourself time and space to grieve. No matter your feelings on your relationship, a separation often comes with feelings of loss. Take time to process these feelings and don’t be hesitant to reach out to family, friends or even a therapist to discuss this.
2. New beginnings: You cannot control the past, however, you do have control over your future. What positive steps can you take today? Maybe you may have been putting off furthering your education? Now is a great time to start a new hobby.
Look for new and exciting hobbies, projects or interests. By focusing on your future and all the positive steps you can take, this will take your mind off the past and help you move forward.
3. Out with the old: While some see starting over in a stressful and unhappy light, others see this as an opportunity to start fresh. When looking at the possibility of redirecting the trajectory of your life, it is nice to start with a clean slate, and an open mind for the future.
Part of this cleansing spirit may include getting rid of items that represent your previous relationship. In marriage, one of the biggest reminders may likely be your engagement ring and wedding band. While it may hold happy memories, starting this new chapter completely unbridled with the past can be therapeutic.
You can also think about the monetary return you receive as a positive first step in your new chosen path. Instead of letting it gather dust in a drawer, turn something negative into a positive.
Where To Sell Your Engagement Ring
If you are divorced or headed for divorce, selling diamond rings can often feel daunting, but WP Diamonds is here to help. Our team of GIA trained gemologists can accurately value your ring based on the current second-hand diamond market. The entire process is fast, stress-free and can be completed discreetly from the comfort of your home or at an in person appointment. We buy your diamond jewelry directly, meaning that you can sell your engagement ring in as little as 24 hours.
How it works:
- Complete the online form: After providing details on your ring, your client manager will provide a price quote and a fully insured FedEx overnight shipping label, at no cost.
- Send your ring in or schedule an appointment: Schedule an appointment in NYC, Tokyo, Hong Kong or in the UK. You can then send us your diamond ring insured to its highest possible value and protected by Brinks security.
- Get a final price: The following day, once we receive your item, we will give you a final offer and get you paid. And if you decide not to accept our offer, we will send your ring back free of charge.
About WP Diamonds
Established in 2012, we work with hundreds of customers on a daily basis going through a divorce and selling their engagement ring. We understand the unique set of challenges that divorce brings. But we also understand that selling the ring can be a financially rewarding and empowering way to begin your fresh start.
We are an A+ BBB rated buyer, trusted by customers worldwide as a safe way to sell engagement rings after divorce. Our hundreds of customer reviews are testimony to our dedication to providing a professional, high-end and stress-free service. We buy your diamond jewelry, designer jewelry, luxury watches and bags directly in as little as 24 hours. Do not hesitate to get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 646 758 0270, with any questions you may have.