Who doesn’t swoon over the engagement rings of Hollywood’s finest? Celebrity engagement rings leave onlookers speechless with their flawless diamonds, stunning designs and massive carat weights. Let’s tak...
How to Clean a Diamond RingJune 27, 2018 - Jewelry Articles
While diamonds are one of the toughest substances in the world, it is important to know how to property clean a diamond ring to ensure that the diamond and its setting do not get damaged. Keep reading as we show you how to best clean a diamond ring and keep your ring looking beautiful for years to come.
- What is the best way to clean a diamond ring?
- How often should I clean a diamond ring?
- Mistakes to avoid when cleaning a diamond ring
- What about ultrasonic cleaners?
What is the best way to clean a diamond ring?
Cleaning your diamond ring can be a very easy process with the right procedure. And while there are endless cleaning methods listed online for different types of stones and precious metals, there is one safe and universal method to clean a diamond ring that everyone can agree on.
What you need:
- Warm (not boiling) water
- A few drops of mild dish soap
- A clean and soft toothbrush
- Soft, lint-free cloth
How to clean a diamond ring:
- Add a few drop of mild dish soap to the warm water to make a cleaning solution
- Place your ring in this solution and allow it to soak for 20 minutes
- Next, use a clean and soft toothbrush to gently remove dirt. Soft toothbrushes are great tools for cleaning hard to reach spots, such as the back of the diamond, which collects the most dirt and oil. Plus, soft toothbrushes are perfect to use on all metal types, just make sure that this toothbrush is only used for cleaning diamonds.
- Lastly, rinse off your diamond ring with water and dry it with a soft, lint-free cloth. Be very careful when you are using the cloth so it does not snag on any of the prongs, potentially bending them.
How often should I clean a diamond ring?
The Gemological Institute of America recommends cleaning your diamond ring at least once or twice a week. You may also want to have your diamond ring professionally cleaned a few times a year.
Not only will your diamond ring look beautiful, but the professional will be able to tell you if any of the stones are loose or prongs are out of shape.
Mistakes to avoid when cleaning a diamond ring
Even with the best of intentions, mistakes can happen when you clean a diamond ring. Here are some of the most common mistakes that occur when cleaning a ring and how you can avoid them:
- If you are cleaning your ring in the sink, always make sure that the drain in closed. This simple rule may sound trite, but can save you an emergency visit from the plumber.
- Do not use harmful solutions like bleach, household cleaners or toothpaste when cleaning your diamond ring. Certain precious metals can be porous, soft and prone to damage when exposed to these chemicals.
- When doing any activity where your hands will get dirty such as washing dishes, cooking or an intense workout, remove your ring to prevent any unwanted grime.
What about ultrasonic cleaners?
Ultrasonic cleaners are devices which can remove deeply encrusted grime on diamond rings. These devices work by sending high frequency sound ways through a cleaning solution (such as water with a few drops of dish soap), making the solution vibrate, thus removing dirt and grime. Ultrasonic cleaners can cost as little as $30, making them an affordable solution for all jewelry owners.
While ultrasonic cleaners sound like the perfect solution for keeping your diamond ring looking its best, there is the possibility that they can damage your ring. Certain diamond rings are more susceptible to damage, especially treated diamonds. If your diamond has been treated by fracture filling or laser drilling, there is a greater chance that your diamond will crack during the cleaning process. Furthermore, if your diamond has a low clarity grade, meaning that it has many inclusions, ultrasonic cleaners pose a risk of furthering internal damage within the diamond. And finally, if your diamond ring has any loose stones or weak prongs, there is the possibility that they make break off within the device.
If you have any concerns about the safety of your ring when using an ultrasonic cleaner, be sure to read the manufacturer’s instructions and meet with a reputable jeweler to assess if your ring will be safe during the cleaning process. Furthermore, check any official paperwork that came with your diamond ring upon its purchase, such as a GIA report, to see if the diamond was treated in any way that could cause it harm by using an ultrasonic cleaner.
How to upgrade your diamond ring
Interested in upgrading your current engagement ring? Whether you have your heart set on a bigger diamond or more elaborate setting, WP Diamonds can help you afford your perfect ring. Sell your ring for cash or for up to 20% more in the form of store credit with one of our partners.
We are specialist diamond ring, jewelry and luxury watch buyers with an international presence. Our team of experts can accurately assess your high-end items and provide you with a competitive offer. Sell online or via appointment, our service is free, secure and fast. Don’t just take our word for it, our service has earned us an A+ rating with the BBB and hundreds of positive customer reviews.
Click the button below to find out just how much your diamonds, jewelry and luxury watches are worth.