How To Buy An Engagement Ring Online
With most events moving towards digital experiences, buying an engagement ring is no exception to the rule. The good news is that is now easier than ever shop virtually for a diamond ring. Below, we share our top 5 tips on how to buy an engagement ring online.
How To Buy An Engagement Ring Online?
- Gather inspiration
- Know her ring size
- Brush up on the 4C’s
- Set your budget
- Shop sustainable diamond rings
1. Get Inspiration
Buying a diamond online may feel like a daunting prospect but it does not have to be. The first step is to get inspiration, you will have a far better shopping experience if you have established what you are looking for.
The advantage of engagement ring shopping online is that you do not have any pressure from well meaning but overbearing sales assistants. As such, can take as much time researching as you need. This is, after all, a big decision and an expensive one.
Start by setting up a Pinterest page and pin your favorite rings. Check out the latest engagement ring trends and what ring styles you like best.
Whether you prefer yellow gold to white gold bands, a classic solitaire to vintage design, an emerald to oval cut center stone – knowing what you or your partner likes will help narrow down the search.
2. Know Her Ring Size
Ring size does matter when it comes to shopping for engagement rings online. When looking to buy an engagement ring online, this is an important piece of information.
Measure her ring size at home with these measuring tips. The engagement ring should fit comfortably on her finger: not too loose that it could fall off, not too tight that it is a struggle to get on or off.
It is worth noting that her ring finger on her left hand might be a slightly different size to her right hand. Be sure to check the correct hand and finger!
3. Brush Up On The 4 C’s
Color, clarity, cut and carat: Together, these characteristics make up a diamond grading system that determines the quality and price of a diamond ring.
- Color: Graded from D (colorless) to Z (light yellow). For a white diamond, the less color, the more expensive the stone is. Fancy colored diamonds are graded on a different scale, of Faint to Fancy Vivid. For fancy colored diamonds, the more color, the more expensive the stone is.
- Clarity: Clarity indicates how flawed or flawless the diamond is. Also known as inclusions, there are a wide range of imperfections in diamonds, including crystals and fractures. Flawless is the highest grade, but most people opt for VS (very slightly included) or SI (slightly included) diamonds. This is because these are still clean to the naked eye, and much more affordable.
- Cut: This refers to the shape of the stone and how well it has been cut and polished. Different diamond shapes include round, princess, oval, pear, cushion, emerald, marquise and radiant. Round diamonds are the most popular option, followed by princess cut diamonds.
- Carat: The weight of the diamond, and therefore how large or small the diamond appears.
While you may be tempted to want the best for each of the 4 C’s, the reality is that there is always a compromise.
4. Set Your Budget
The traditional rule was to spend 2 months’ salary on an engagement ring. However, the majority of US couples today spend $1,000 – $25,000 on an engagement ring, with an average of $5,000 – $7,500.
The good news is that shopping for engagement rings online is typically more affordable than shopping at a brick and mortar retailer, due to lower overhead costs.
Shopping for pre-owned diamond rings is always more cost effective than shopping brand new, and it does not impact the quality of the ring.
If you are looking for guidance, the diamond experts at myGemma are your high-end personal stylists. They can help to curate a selection of loose diamonds and diamond rings based on your taste and budget. They can also provide help on choosing suitable wedding bands.
5. Shop Sustainable Diamond Rings
Top of your list when buying an engagement ring should also be to buy an eco-friendly diamond ring. The most environmentally responsible and sustainable option is to buy pre-owned engagement rings.
- 1 carat of mined diamonds results in 9 liters of fuel consumption, 2,500 liters of water usage and half a ton of Greenhouse Gas emissions
- One gold ring creates 20 tons of waste, including toxic Cyanide
- Shopping pre-owned reduces the demand for mining, which in turn reduces the damage to our planet
As such, it is far more eco-friendly to shop for pre-owned engagement rings than new engagement rings. We always recommend buying from an online retailer that offers pre-owned diamond rings.
The Advantages Of Buying Pre-Owned Engagement Rings
Cost: The good news is that this is also the most affordable engagement ring option, if you are looking for natural diamonds and not a diamond simulant (such as moissanite or CZ).
High quality: Shopping pre-owned does not mean compromising on quality. Diamonds are one of the hardest materials on earth and a pre-owned diamond does not look different to a freshly mined diamond.
How To Sell An Engagement Ring Online
Selling luxury goods online can feel equally daunting. WP Diamonds was created in response to that: we wanted to provide a fast, trustworthy option to selling your luxury items online. Our team of luxury experts buy your diamonds, designer jewelry, luxury watches, handbags and sneakers in as little as 24 hours.
How it works
- Simply complete our online form to receive your price quote
- We then provide free shipping and insurance to send your luxury items in
- You will be notified once your items arrive the following business day and be provided with a final price
- Accept our offer and get paid, or we return your items free of charge
About WP Diamonds
Customer service is at the heart of what we do. We believe that selling your luxury items should be simple and hassle-free. As such we provide honest price quotes, with no fees or commissions deducted from your final price.
Our free service has earned us an A+ BBB rating and over 1,000 customer reviews. With offices in NYC, Hong Kong, Tokyo and the UK, we work with hundreds of customers on a daily basis.