Best Watches For Men 2022
At WP Diamonds, our team of expert horologists and watch enthusiasts often find themselves debating the best watches for men. In the sphere of luxury watches, certain timepieces reign supreme as they are the unification of horological excellence, masterful craftsmanship and exquisite design. With the endless array of luxury watches on the market, we decided to put together the definitive list of the top best watches for men.
What are the best watches for men? At WP Diamonds, our team of expert horologists and watch enthusiasts often find themselves debating the best watches for men. In the sphere of luxury watches, certain timepieces reign supreme. These are the coming together of time keeping excellence, masterful craftsmanship and exquisite design.
With the endless array of luxury watches on the market, where is the best place to start? Tag Heuer, Omega, Apple watch, automatic watch, quartz movement, dress watch. We decided to put together the definitive list of the top best watches for men.
Top 3 Best Watches For Men 2022:
1. Rolex Submariner
- Retail price: $7,500 – $40,250
- Why: Classic, durable and versatile watch that retains good value.
Topping our list of the best watches for men is Rolex’s iconic Submariner. This diving watch originated in 1953 and it’s a diver’s greatest asset. The Submariner is built to endure the tough conditions of deep sea diving thanks to some key watch features:
- its 300 meter water resistance
- scratch-resistant sapphire crystal
- waterproof oyster case
- solid link Oyster bracelet
- Oysterlock clasp which prevents accidental openings
The watch’s self-winding movement is made with a Parachrom hairspring, which allows for greater shock and temperature resistance. The Submariner’s rotating Cerachrom bezel allows a diver to safely measure dive time. This is critical for ensuring that the diver has enough air. Its knurled edge allows for great grip underwater, even when wearing with thick diving gloves.
Its Chromalight display offers long lasting blue luminescence on the watch face. This is great for deep sea divers and anyone who wants to check the time in the dark. Rolex’s Submariner is a certified Swiss Chronometer so you can depend on its accuracy on land or sea.
2. IWC Portugieser Perpetual Calendar
- Retail price: $20,000 +
- Why: Elegant, high complication watch
Next up on our list of the best watches for men is IWC’s Portugieser Perpetual Calendar. For those looking for an elegant timepiece that does it all, look no further than the Portugieser.
This sophisticated watch comes with a wide array of complications, all well balanced on four sub dials. Wearers of this watch can easily read the perpetual calendar’s date, day, month, four digit year window. As well as its beautifully illustrated moon phase indicator.The moon phase is so precise that it accounts for a divergence one day every 577.5 years. Its transparent case back beautifully showcases the Portugieser Perpetual Calendar’s intricate automatic movement.
3. Jaeger LeCoultre Master Chronograph
- Retail price: $8,000 – $21,500
- Why: Incredibly accurate and durable, available in a wide range of price points.
Another excellent addition to our collection of the best watches for men is Jaeger LeCoultre’s Master Chronograph. The Master Chronograph has been described as the “union between lightness, finesse, and functionality.” This sleek watch is well deserving of its accolades as it has passed Jaeger LeCoultre’s strict 1,000 hour test.
Under this test, watches are cased and rigorously tested under various conditions for a staggering 1,000 hours. The Master Chronograph’s “1,000 HOURS CONTROL” stamp on the watch’s case showcases its durability and accuracy.
What Makes A Great Watch?
According to our horologist, Tom Pozsgay, the best watches for men have the following 3 attributes: outstanding durability, accuracy and value. Let’s take a closer look at what these terms really mean:
A watch needs to be durable to ensure that it can successfully operate for many years to come. Durability is very important for watches in order to protect their delicate movements. Not only must a timepiece be able to endure the motions of everyday life but also:
- Accidental bumps
- Water exposure
Keep in mind that $40,000 watch won’t necessarily be more durable than a $10,000 model. Depending on what you plan to do while wearing the timepiece, you may need a watch that is:
- Substantially shock resistant
- Vibration resistant
- Water resistant
At its most basic function, a watch is a tool to tell time. Naturally, you would want to have an accurate timepiece, especially if it costs thousands of dollars. An inexpensive quartz watch from the department store will actually keep better time than a mechanical watch. However, cheap quartz watches do not have the appeal and artisanal complexity of mechanical watch movements:
- Their hundreds of delicate components must operate simultaneously.
- They can have a deviation of just a few seconds a day which accumulates to about a minute a month.
The Swiss Chronometer Certification Office (COSC) tests the accuracy of movements in various settings and temperatures. Watches that pass their rigorous test have no greater deviation of -4 or 6+ seconds a day. This tight range is impressive considering that there are 86,400 seconds in a day that the watch accounts for. There are of course watches that meet this strict deviation standard that have not taken part in the chronometer certification process.
Not all watch brands retain their value equally. Even if you bought a watch that costs $50,000 dollars, a less expensive watch may have a better return percentage. It is important to understand that luxury watches do not necessarily increase in value with age.
There are certain brands, such as Rolex, that have successfully maintained the second-hand value of their watches. Rolex, in particular, has achieved this because:
- All of their timepieces are of excellent quality
- They produce a limited number of pieces a year to increase demand
- They maintain tight collections which have become house-hold names such as the Oyster Perpetual and Submariner
How To Buy Affordable Luxury Watches
Shop luxury watches at the best prices by shopping pre-owned. myGemma brings you the brands you love at up to 80% off retail, all authenticated by a team of experts. From Rolex to Omega to Cartier, shop luxury timepieces at the best prices.
How To Sell Luxury Watches
Has our list of the best watches for men have inspired you to upgrade your luxury watch collection? With WP Diamonds’ expert service you can sell your watches as well as luxury jewelry and handbags for competitive prices.
- Upgrade Your Watch Collection: You have the option of accepting payment in cash or trade in your watch for a new timepiece. We offer you the option of receiving up to 10% more in the form of store credit with our partners. Use this credit towards your next luxury, affordable watch purchase. Shop your favorite luxury watch brands including Rolex, Jaeger Lecoultre, Omega and much more.
- Luxury Experts: We are expert luxury watch buyers with a team of experienced horologists. We will accurately and honestly price your watch on the second-hand luxury timepiece market.
- Fast: Our service is so fast and simple that the entire process can take as little as 24 hours. We buy your luxury items directly.
- Reputation: Our outstanding customer care, expertise and strong prices have earned us an A+ BBB rating and hundreds of positive customer reviews.
- Sell Online Or In Person: Sell online (free shipping and insurance provided) or in person in Hong Kong, Tokyo, New York or the UK.
- Get Started: Affording the luxury timepiece of your dreams has never been easier with WP Diamonds. Click the button below to receive your bespoke price quote from the experts.