The fictional character of James Bong has been a symbolic figure for decades – representing a British cultural vision of masculinity and dignity. Known for his love of adventure, martinis and gadgets, Bond ...
Best Watches for Men 2020June 22, 2018 - Watch Articles
What makes a great watch?
One of your biggest questions may be, what makes a great watch? According to our horologist, Tom Pozsgay, the best watches for men must possess the following three attributes: outstanding durability, accuracy and value. Let’s take a closer look at what these terms really mean:
- Durability: A watch needs to be durable to ensure that it can successfully operate for many years to come. Durability is very important for watches in order to protect their delicate movements. Not only must a timepiece be able to endure the motions of everyday life but also accidental bumps, water exposure and debris. Keep in mind that $40,000 watch won’t necessarily be more durable than a $10,000 model. Depending on what you plan to do while wearing the timepiece, you may need a watch that is substantially shock-resistant, vibration-resistant and water-resistant such as a diving watch.
- Accuracy: At its most basic function, a watch is a tool to tell time. Naturally, you would want to have an accurate timepiece, especially if it costs thousands of dollars. An inexpensive quartz watch from the department store will actually keep better time than a mechanical watch. However, cheap quartz watches do not possess the allure and artisanal complexity of mechanical watch movements, whose hundreds of delicate components must operate simultaneously. Mechanical watches can have a deviation of a few seconds a day which accumulates to about a minute a month. The Swiss Chronometer Certification Office (COSC) tests the accuracy of movements in various settings and temperatures. Watches that pass their rigorous test have no greater deviation of -4 or 6+ seconds a day, this tight range is impressive considering that there are 86,400 seconds in a day that the watch accounts for. Keep in mind that there are timepieces that meet this strict deviation standard who have not participated in the chronometer certification process.
- Value: Not all watch brands retain their value equally. Even if you bought a watch that costs $50,000 dollars, a less expensive watch may have a better return percentage. It is important to understand that luxury watches do not increase in value with age simply because they are a luxury watch. There are certain brands, such as Rolex, that have been successful in maintaining the resale value of their timepieces on the second-hand market. Rolex, in particular, has achieved this because all of their timepieces are of excellent quality, they produce a limited number of pieces a year to increase demand, and maintain tight collections which have become house-hold names such as the Oyster Perpetual and Submariner.
Best watches for men
Here’s our picks of the best watches for men:
1. Rolex Submariner
Retail price: $7,500 – $40,250
Why: Classic, durable and versatile watch that retains good value.
Starting off our list of the best watches for men is Rolex’s Submariner. This diving watch originated in 1953 and it’s a diver’s greatest asset. The Submariner is built to endure the tough conditions of deep sea diving thanks to its 300 meter water resistance, scratch-resistant sapphire crystal, waterproof oyster case, solid link Oyster bracelet and Oysterlock clasp which prevents accidental openings. The watch’s self-winding movement is made with a Parachrom hairspring, which allows for greater shock and temperature resistance. The Submariner’s rotating Cerachrom bezel allows a diver to safely measure dive time, which is critical for ensuring that the diver has enough air, and its knurled edge allows for great grip underwater, even when wearing with thick diving gloves. Its Chromalight display offers long lasting blue luminescence, great for deep sea divers and anyone who wants to check the time in the dark. Rolex’s Submariner is a certified Swiss Chronometer so you can depend on its accuracy on land or sea.
2. IWC Portugieser Perpetual Calendar
Retail price: $20,000 +
Why: Elegant, high complication watch
Next up on our list of the best watches for men is IWC’s Portugieser Perpetual Calendar. For those looking for an elegant timepiece that does it all, look no further than the Portugieser. This sophisticated watch comes with a wide array of complications which are well balanced on four sub dials.Wearers of this watch can easily read the perpetual calendar’s date, day, month, four digit year window and beautifully illustrated moon phase indicator.
The moon phase is so precise that it accounts for a divergence one day every 577.5 years. Its transparent case back beautifully showcases the Portugieser Perpetual Calendar’s intricate automatic movement.
3. Jaeger LeCoultre Master Chronograph
Retail price: $8,000 – $21,500
Why: Incredibly accurate and durable, available in a wide range of price points.
Another excellent addition to our collection of the best watches for men is Jaeger LeCoultre’s Master Chronograph. The Master Chronograph has been described as the “union between lightness, finesse, and functionality.” This sleek watch is well deserving of its accolades as it has passed Jaeger LeCoultre’s strict 1,000 hour test.
Under this test, watches are cased and rigorously tested under various conditions for a staggering 1,000 hours. The Master Chronograph’s “1,000 HOURS CONTROL” stamp on the watch’s case is a proud testament of this time piece’s superb durability and accuracy.
How to afford a luxury watch
If our list of the best watches for men have inspired you to upgrade your luxury watch collection, WP Diamonds is here to help. With our expert service you can sell your watches as well as loose diamonds and jewelry for competitive prices. Get paid in cash or trade in your watch for a new timepiece. We offer you the option of receiving up to 20% more in the form of store credit with our partners to use towards buying a new watch.
We are expert luxury watch buyers with a team of experienced horologists who can accurately and honestly evaluate your watch on the second-hand luxury timepiece market. Our service is so fast and simple that you can receive payment in as little as 24 hours after completing our online form. Our expert service has earned us an A+ rating from the BBB and hundreds of positive customer reviews.
Affording the luxury watch of your dreams has never been easier. Click the button below to see how much your watch is worth.