Average Diamond Size For An Engagement Ring
If you are thinking of proposing (or being proposed to), you may be wondering what the average diamond size for an engagement ring is. And if you’re not a Kardashian or a jeweler, you may not know the complexities of diamond size.
We take a look at:
- The average diamond size for an engagement ring in the US
- The average diamond size for an engagement ring in the world
- Diamond size explained
- Ring settings
- Celebrity diamond sizes
What Is The Average Diamond Size For An Engagement Ring In The US?
According to a survey by creditdonkey.com, the national average diamond size for an engagement ring in the US hovers around one carat. That brings the average engagement ring cost to about $6,000.
Here is a partial look at engagement ring size by US state:
- Maryland: 1.75 ct
- Michigan: 1.69 ct
- Illinois: 1.59 ct
- Alaska: 1.49 ct
- New York: 1.47 ct
- Texas: 1.47 ct
- Florida: 1.47 ct
- Virginia: 1.44 ct
- Arkansas: 1.41 ct
- Calilfornia: 1.40 ct
Spending tip: Most people need a sizable increase of about 20% to spot a size difference. And generally, diamond prices go up every 0.5 carats. At retail, going from a 1 carat down to a 0.9 might save you about $1,000.
What Is The Average Diamond Size For An Engagement Ring In The World?
- United States: 1 carat ($6,000 approximate at retail)
- Hong Kong: 0.7 carats ($4,000 approximate)
- Australia: 0.7 carats
- United Kingdom: 0.6 carats ($2,600 approximate)
- Europe: 0.5 carats ($2,000 approximate)
- China: 0.5 carats. However, engagement rings are a relatively new phenomenon in China, so size preference there could change with time and popularity.
- Singapore: 0.5 carats
- Malaysia 0.4 carats ($1,500 approximate)
- Japan: 0.3 carats
Diamond Size Explained
A diamond’s “size”refers to the diamond’s carat size. However, there are other important factors that impact how big a center stone diamond looks:
Shape: This refers to how a diamond looks geometrically: round brilliant, radiant, oval, pear and emerald cut diamond etc. Some diamond shapes allow a lighter weight diamond to look bigger by spreading it out.
Depth: This refers to the measurement from a diamond’s bottom tip (“culet”) to its top surface (“table”).
Other factors: The direction of a setting can result in quite a difference in appearance. A diamond in a north-south setting may seem much smaller than one going east-west.
Diamond Types Of Diamond Settings
The way a diamond is seated, or set, in a ring can influence its size appearance, too:
- Prong settings are just what they sound like. Prongs hold onto the diamond.
- Bezel settings remain very popular in diamond rings because of their presentation and the way they secure the gem in place. They do this by a metal strip completely or partly enclosing the diamond. You just don’t want the metal strip to dwarf the diamond.
- Halo settings encircle a center diamond with smaller diamonds. (Think: a diamond diva with backup singers/ blingers.) A halo setting makes a diamond look much bigger, which accounts for the popularity of this setting.
Celebrity Engagement Ring Diamond Sizes
Famous people are just like us — except maybe with more ring bling:
- Beyonce: 24 carat diamond ring (approximately $5 million)
- Jennifer Lopez: 15-18 carat diamond ring ($1 million)
- Kate Middleton: 12 carat ring
Where To Buy Affordable Diamond Engagement Rings?
The most affordable, real diamond engagement rings are available at up to 80% off retail: by shopping pre-owned. Not only is this the most sustainable way to buy diamond jewelry (more so than lab grown diamonds), it is also the most cost effective.
How To Sell Diamond Engagement Rings
At WP Diamonds, we provide a fast, simple and safe way to sell your diamond engagement ring for the best price. From Veraggio to Tiffany’s, we buy your luxury items directly and believe in honest price quotes and transparent pricing:
- Speed: Our process is designed to take as little as 24 hours from start to finish.
- Free Service: No fees or commissions deducted.
- Luxury Experts: Our team of industry veterans buy a wide range of luxury handbags, jewelry and watches.
- Reputation: With an A+ BBB rating and over one thousand customer reviews, we pride ourselves on our exceptional customer service. We do not believe in low-ball offers, haggling or misleading price quotes: we offer our best prices upfront.
- Sell Online Or In Person: We provide free, fully insured shipping to send your items into our offices. Appointments are also available in New York, Hong Kong, Tokyo, and in the UK, Monday-Friday.