How To Spot Fake Tiffany Jewelry
Perhaps because its work is so eye-catching and its name so recognizable, Tiffany is a company that is frequently the focus of copycats—jewelry forgers looking to cash in on the sale of counterfeit items. Simply by stamping “Tiffany & Co.” on a ring, necklace, or other item and placing it in that much-beloved blue box, the counterfeiter stands a good chance of passing it off as the real thing. Sometimes, a jewelry lover’s excitement gets the best of them!
Tiffany is a name that is synonymous with beauty, style, and elegance in fine jewelry and luxury watches. Perhaps because its work is so eye-catching and its name so recognizable, Tiffany is a company that is frequently the focus of copycats. Jewelry forgers looking to cash in on the sale of counterfeit items. We share our tips on how to spot fake Tiffany jewelry.
While many of them include pieces that feature a more traditional look, the company also produces some very creative contemporary jewelry. Whatever the aesthetic of the piece inside, a signature blue box from Tiffany always elicits a knowing smile from the recipient.
How To Spot Fake Tiffany Jewelry?
Tiffany has stores in major cities all around the world. Obviously, if you are buying a piece of jewelry in one of those locations, you are assured that it is authentic.
But what if you buy elsewhere: in a pawn shop or from a friend of a friend? How can you be sure that you are paying for the genuine article? How can you spot fake Tiffany jewelry?
The truth is, it’s not easy to spot fake Tiffany jewelry. The best forgers are able to closely mimic a Tiffany piece. However, there are a number of things you can assess to give you a better idea if an item was really made by Tiffany.
Simply by stamping “Tiffany & Co.” on a ring, necklace, or other item and placing it in that much-beloved blue box, the counterfeiter stands a good chance of passing it off as the real thing.
Here are some ways to stay ahead of the counterfeiters and spot fake pieces:
- Learn all you can about Tiffany: This includes: history, details about its craftsmanship, approximate dates on when a particular collection was created, etc. Some the company’s key collections include: Tiffany Infinity, Tiffany Keys, Tiffany Soleste, Tiffany Bow, Tiffany Metro, Ziegfeld Collection, Paloma Picasso.
- Review the paperwork: If the seller has papers for the piece, take a close look to see if anything jumps out at you. Are there misspellings? Is the writing font in line with Tiffany’s? Does the date of purchase come before the collection was actually released?
- Check the metal content on the item: Does it match what’s on the paperwork? Look at the stamp and use a metal tester to detect if it is real gold or real sterling silver (solid silver or gold and not gold/silver plated).
- Assess the quality of the stamps and the box: If anything seems poorly executed, you may be looking at a fake.
- Examine the font of the stamp: Visit the Tiffany website and become familiar with the Tiffany font. You can even take a picture of the Tiffany logo on an authentic piece and pull out your phone to compare it to what’s being presented. However, keep in mind that vintage pieces will have different markings than contemporary items.
- Check the quality of the workmanship: If it is not impeccable, you are not looking at a Tiffany piece. For example, links on chains should be soldered. If there is a visible gap, the item is a forgery.
- Assess the quality of the clasp, if applicable: If it appears inferior, that’s a red flag.
- Check the size and the placement of precious stones: Do they match the paperwork or pictures on the website?
What If You Are Offered Fake Tiffany Jewelry?
If anything about a piece makes you wonder if it is counterfeit, you should walk away from the transaction. It may be that your fears are unfounded, but you can always find another piece that you want to purchase. Once you buy knockoff, you are unfortunately stuck with it.
If you are interested in selling authentic Tiffany & Co jewelry, WP Diamonds is here to help. We are a leading buyers of Tiffany jewelry, offering strong prices, quick payment and a secure process.
We buy your luxury jewelry, watches and handbags directly and in as little as 24 hours. Our free service has earned us an A+ BBB rating and over one thousand customer reviews. We provide honest price quotes, and there are no fees or commissions deducted from your offer.
Sell online (free and fully insured shipping) or via appointment in NYC, Tokyo, Hong Kong and in the UK. To get your price quote, contact our experts at 646-758-0270 or fill out our online form.